Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please Help! 7 year old son HATES to read

My 7 year old son absolutely loathes reading and it is mainly due to the fact that he can't concentrate. He refuses to sound things out, doesn't pay attention, and flat out says, "books are the enemy." He bounces off the wall in general and is extremely impulsive. I honestly think he may have a problem with dyslexia, but his kindergarten teacher (and now his first grade teacher) both say he doesn't. He refuses to try chapter books, even if they have simple words he can read.

I have tried Magic Tree House, Captain Underpants, Notebook of Doom, and Ramona books. He rejects them all.

We are going on a road trip soon, and need to drive 16 hours in two days. Does anyone have any recommendations on books that MIGHT keep him entertained in the car?
by on Jan. 3, 2017 at 12:32 AM
Replies (171-178):
donsmom
by Member on Jan. 6, 2017 at 8:48 PM

picture books are good. how to books, like cooking, building furniture, building things outside like picnic tables, sand boxes. fishing or hunting books. if you have a lowes nearby where you live, they have projects to build out of nails and wood, he will have to read the instructions to putting each one together. i took my grandson when he was that age, he loved it, i have most of his projects in my house. he didn't like to read either, but i did get the diary of a whimpy kid. there are a bunch of those, little critter books too. take him to lowes and stop at the books, ask him what peeks his interest, would you like to build things. i'm pretty sure he would like to do something with his hands, most boys do at that age, both of mine helped me in the garden, pulling weeds or digging holes to plant something.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 39 on Jan. 9, 2017 at 11:19 AM
Look up graphic novels for kids plenty of really good ones. That's what got my son reading๐Ÿ˜Š
Anonymous
by Anonymous 40 on Jan. 11, 2017 at 4:02 AM

Have you considered he might be ADD? I'm ADD and I'm dyslexic (mildly thank god and shows more in writing than reading) but I love reading, I love getting lost in the story. I agree with advice you've been given about not making a battle of it. Have you taken him to a library or a book store and let him look around himself? Maybe look at some graphic novels to see if that helps him. Books on tape could help too! See if he'll read along?

Deleon2020
by on Jan. 11, 2017 at 4:51 PM

Yes, this is something that raising a parents concern.  I believe he's still at an age where learning might not be a high interest, and maybe you might want to make it fun for him.  Reverse the role for a while, you ready to him, then ask  him to help you read the next sentence and so on. Reading definitely can sometimes be boring or challenging even as an adult.  Maybe ebooks might interest him, don't give up continue to show him how important reading is.  While on your trip show him the signs and ask him to read them to you or even tell you when your next exit comes up.  Best wishes.

Diva-Mami
by Leave Me Alone on Jan. 11, 2017 at 4:57 PM

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Try timmy failure, ifunny, or something with super heroes. My ds is 7 also and he likes these
Diva-Mami

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Try timmy failure, ifunny, or something with super heroes. My ds is 7 also and he likes these
Diva-Mami

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Diva-Mami

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)