Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

After more than 6 years...

Posted by   + Show Post
My husband officially adopted my(our!)son today! We've planned to for a while, but it's not necessarily cheap so it's been put off until now. But as of 2:30p.m. MST today it's official!
by on Jan. 9, 2017 at 6:19 PM
Replies (81-85):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Jan. 17, 2017 at 4:24 PM
That's awesome. Can I ask what state you live in?

Quoting ColieO: Nope. Our lawyer decided to chance it and go straight to the judge before notifying him. The judge could've ordered him to be contacted, but with all the information laid out before him he chose to continue with the adoption and terminate his rights without contact.

Quoting Anonymous 9: Congratulations to you all!
My dh is trying to adopt my kids. You said you didn't have to involve him since he legally "abandoned" your ds. So you didn't even have to notify him or anything before the judge terminated his rights? My ex has legally abandoned my kids and my dh wants to try to move forward with adopting them. We are worried though that my ex will try to stop it even though he's not involved in their lives. Did the judge just terminate without giving your ex a heads up or a chance to fight? I know if a judge reaches out to my ex he will put a stop to it just cuz he's a dick.

Quoting ColieO: His bio dad lives about 30 minutes away, I'm not sure exactly where. We don't talk and he hasn't seen my son in 6 years. By law they consider it abandonment so we didn't have to involve him. The judge terminated his rights, legally pronounced my husband the father, signed the adoption decree and filed the paperwork for the amended birth certificate.

Quoting Anonymous 7:

How was it possible? Where is his bio dad?

ColieO
by Emerald Member on Jan. 17, 2017 at 4:26 PM
Utah.

Quoting Anonymous 9: That's awesome. Can I ask what state you live in?

Quoting ColieO: Nope. Our lawyer decided to chance it and go straight to the judge before notifying him. The judge could've ordered him to be contacted, but with all the information laid out before him he chose to continue with the adoption and terminate his rights without contact.

Quoting Anonymous 9: Congratulations to you all!
My dh is trying to adopt my kids. You said you didn't have to involve him since he legally "abandoned" your ds. So you didn't even have to notify him or anything before the judge terminated his rights? My ex has legally abandoned my kids and my dh wants to try to move forward with adopting them. We are worried though that my ex will try to stop it even though he's not involved in their lives. Did the judge just terminate without giving your ex a heads up or a chance to fight? I know if a judge reaches out to my ex he will put a stop to it just cuz he's a dick.

Quoting ColieO: His bio dad lives about 30 minutes away, I'm not sure exactly where. We don't talk and he hasn't seen my son in 6 years. By law they consider it abandonment so we didn't have to involve him. The judge terminated his rights, legally pronounced my husband the father, signed the adoption decree and filed the paperwork for the amended birth certificate.

Quoting Anonymous 7:

How was it possible? Where is his bio dad?

Tx_Mommy10
by New Member on Jan. 17, 2017 at 4:33 PM
Do you mind if i private message you?
My husband wants to adopt my (our) daughter!
And I have a few questions about how to get it all started lol

Quoting ColieO: My husband officially adopted my(our!)son today! We've planned to for a while, but it's not necessarily cheap so it's been put off until now. But as of 2:30p.m. MST today it's official!
ColieO
by Emerald Member on Jan. 17, 2017 at 4:40 PM
Sure!

Quoting Tx_Mommy10: Do you mind if i private message you?
My husband wants to adopt my (our) daughter!
And I have a few questions about how to get it all started lol

Quoting ColieO: My husband officially adopted my(our!)son today! We've planned to for a while, but it's not necessarily cheap so it's been put off until now. But as of 2:30p.m. MST today it's official!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Jan. 17, 2017 at 4:44 PM

Congratulations!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN