Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How would you discipline for this?

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2017 at 10:28 AM
  • 80 Replies
So I have 2 boys...16 and 13 (well I have more than that but this is about them). Anyways, Monday the oldest texted me and asked me if his girlfriend's mom could pick him up after weightlifting. (Weightlifting is for football and after school). I agreed.
That evening my hubby questioned if he really went and the 13 year old chimes in "yeah he went...alys bus is behind ours and he didn't get on it".
Ok so we believe him and go about our night.
Yesterday the boys come in the house...here I learn.
The oldest did not go to weightlifting, he rode the bus with his girlfriend and the younger one got pictures to blackmail him.
Older kiddo didn't appreciate being threatened with blackmail (younger wanted the PlayStation all to himself) and took youngest phone and deleted the pics.

So they both lied to me...and the older skipped weightlifting. Though that's not that big of a deal to me.
I feel like taking phones or whatever isn't appropriate for some reason. Thoughts? Tactics you've used or would use?
by on Jan. 11, 2017 at 10:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dedhed
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2017 at 10:31 AM
9 moms liked this

Older one cant go to gf's for a week. If he needs to lie about it, he cant do it,

Younger one losses his phone.

Northern.Maple
by on Jan. 11, 2017 at 10:31 AM

My kids would be grounded from any activities after school and on weekends for an entire month and then I would probably have them write an essay on why lying is not acceptable.

AvantGardener
by on Jan. 11, 2017 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Since it was about lying about where he was that would be a grounding for the older one, the younger one no phone and extra chores to get it back.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 11, 2017 at 10:32 AM
4 moms liked this
I'd started dropping them off and picking them up...pull in the reigns, so to speak. Explain that if you can't trust them, some freedoms that were given have to be taken back until the trust can be reestablished.
Marivilla
by Big Daddy on Jan. 11, 2017 at 10:32 AM
3 moms liked this
They'd both be grounded for 2 weeks. Cheers to the little one for blackmailing the older one. Impressive
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 11, 2017 at 10:33 AM
3 moms liked this

This but I'd probably talk to the gf's mom to boot. If they're lying they're more than likely trying to make time for fooling around. Her mom needs to be aware of what's going on in her house.

Quoting dedhed:

Older one cant go to gf's for a week. If he needs to lie about it, he cant do it,

dedhed
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2017 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree, he mom should know they used her in a lie.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

This but I'd probably talk to the gf's mom to boot. If they're lying they're more than likely trying to make time for fooling around. Her mom needs to be aware of what's going on in her house.

Quoting dedhed:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 11, 2017 at 10:34 AM

I'm not looking forward to the teenage years lol!  My personal favorite is going stoneage for a week - no electronics what so ever unless it is for school work.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 11, 2017 at 10:37 AM

Yup, and from now on hopefully both mothers call each other to ensure that an adult will be present when the kids are together. It's either they work together now or they're going to be grandma's together later.

Quoting dedhed:

I agree, he mom should know they used her in a lie.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Quoting dedhed:

AmaliaD
by Ruby Member on Jan. 11, 2017 at 10:38 AM
I would not want my kids snitching on each other when I'm gone I want them to be a team and trust each other. The one who lied and skipped would have to make up the practice on his time. He isn't trusted to get rides home anymore.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN