• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you refuse to give your kids chores? Why?

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2017 at 3:43 PM
  • 35 Replies

If your kids DON'T have chores, why?   Are they too busy with school or activities? Do you just prefer to do things yourself or have they proven that they'll do them incorrectly or insufficiently?

washing dishes

by on Jan. 11, 2017 at 3:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofthem311
by on Jan. 11, 2017 at 3:49 PM
Our daughter, 15 yrs old, does her own laundry, cooks a lot for herself, cleans her room without being told, is on the A honor roll and perfect attendance along with being in the band, theater arts and UIL.
She will help if I ask but since I'm home all days, most days, I see no reason to give her more to do.

Our son, 8 yrs old, cleans up after himself, puts away his laundry and keep his room clean. He also is on A honor roll and perfect attendance. He actually asks to help me a lot and I let him. Again though, I'm home a lot so I really don't need a lot of help but they help if asked.

Soon I will need a lot more help when the new baby gets here in 12 weeks. My husband is a big help too even though he works all day.
carolina_gal
by Member on Jan. 11, 2017 at 4:01 PM

I have a 17 year old son. His job is to make good grades and work after school at this part time job. He's responsible and respectful. He's got time enough to do laundry, wash dishes, etc.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 11, 2017 at 4:04 PM
1 mom liked this
My children all have chores. They are 11, 9, and 5.

They have chores for 2 reasons.

1. I feel strongly that they need the skills to take care of their future homes and families.

2. I also feel strongly that my children need to learn that everyone in the household contributes to keeping a home clean and running smoothly.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 11, 2017 at 4:05 PM
They are kids. They don't need chores to be taught responsibilities. They're commitment to their respective activities help with that. For example, dd6 is in a ballet company. She is being taught responsibility to her self and codancers, her costumes, dance wear etc.

Dd9 is doing the same with the violin.
Not to mention school and the hard work we expect them to put in with grades

Yes they know how to clean and pick up. But IMO, their childhood is bitterly brief. I want them to soak up all of it. Chores can come later
fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 11, 2017 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Assigning chores just doesn't work for me it is simply easier to ask them to do things as I need them done.

Hanab818
by ThePonds on Jan. 11, 2017 at 4:12 PM
My kids have chores. Most days they do them some days i dont feel like dealing with the "whyyyyy do i have to" and just do it so it get done without having to listen to their crap. But on days they do that and i do their chores they lose tv or tablet or whatever it is they want to do.
luckysevenwow
by Emerald Member on Jan. 11, 2017 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Mine don't have set chores. I just tell them what I would like help with and they help.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 11, 2017 at 4:14 PM

I have 1 child it was way easier just to tell him what I want him to do when I want him to do it.  And he freely did/does  what he is asked to do, he has never refused or gave me grief over my request in 19 years now and counting.

mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Jan. 11, 2017 at 4:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Heck no... I'm raising independent people that will be adults one day. They need to know how to wash laundry, dry it, fold it, put it away, how to clean floors, cabinets, mirrors, counters, tubs, showers, etc...they also need to know how to cook so they can eat after they leave our home. I'm not raising future adults that are incapable of doing anything. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Velvetfog
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2017 at 4:25 PM
It's just not something I care about. My parents never gave chores so for me it's not ingrained as a part of childhood.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)