Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please help me

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies
I am 28 years old and morbidly obese, I won't give any numbers as it is extremely embarassing.

I have been obese since I was a young child and it has gotten out of control. Along with my obesity I have severe depression and anxiety, both unmedicated at the moment. Both the depression and anxiety stem from my obesity, self image, and childhood. I have no will power or energy for anything. I want to loose the weight so I can be here for my DH and DS for a long time but I feel crippled by depression. We eat out a lot because DH works full time and I don't have the wukl power to cook. When I do cook it's not exactly healthy, we rarely have veggies and fruits. I don't drink water because it makes me thirstier and I don't like how it tastes. I drink sweet tea and soda.

When I got pregnant I was actually loosing weight from being on my feet at a fulltime job. I gained 50 pounds with DS and have gained about 30 more since then. My weight has seemed to have hit a plateau. I my gain or loose 1 pound but it doesn't differ much. When I was working out in early 2016 it wasn't budging.

I need help, I need encouragement, but mostly I need advice on how to push myself into the mindset to start doing what needs to be done in order for me to get healthy.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2017 at 1:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheAnnieMac
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 1:40 AM

Start slow. Track your calories, you will be surprised at how your choices change just because you're more aware of what you're taking in. Start walking, find a fun app you love. I like myfitnesspal for tracking calories, and Zombies Run for walking. Baby steps. 

thePBandJmom
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 1:42 AM

Maybe find someone to workout with?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 1:50 AM
1 mom liked this
You're going to have to make a lot of challenges. Start slow. It's not going to be easy.

You will need to start drinking water. Infuse it with fruit if you need to. Soda and sweet tea have a lot of empty calories. Maybe try replacing one drink a day with water and every week replace another. (i.e., the first week you replace 1 drink a day with water, the second week you replace 2, etc.).

Buy fruits, lots of it and eat it whenever you want something sweet. Slowly replace every sweet craving you have with fruits.

Buy veggies and look up recipes and ideas on ways to prepare them so you're not bored. You can make things like veggie fries/chips. Those could help when you crave regular chips and fries.

Switch to whole grains. Maybe not all at once, but do it slowly if that's hard for you. White bread will only cause more sugar cravings, whereas whole grains breads will keep you fuller longer and prevent your cravings.

There are tons of recipes that allow you to indulge using healthier substitutes. You can make Mac n cheese using cauliflower and any kind of potatoes using cauliflower. Greek yogurt can be subbed for sour cream.

Meal planning can help you avoid eating out when you are short on time. Cook healthy meals in advance when you have time

Track what you eat. Keep a diary and monitor how you feel every time you eat. Learn from that. Look up calories and information on nutrition. Talk to your doctor for suggestions.
iwicked
by Sugar Magnolia on Jan. 13, 2017 at 1:53 AM
Try using free online tools like spark people and my fitness pal.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 1:56 AM
Man i could have wrote this. Im 27 and morbidly obese. I have anxiety, ptsd, and depression. Very poor self image and my dh works all the time too.

I know what your going through. I want to change my life too, but i cant seem to do it.
redheadtmk
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 1:57 AM

Everything they said plus doing little things like parking your car at the far end of the parking lot, taking the stairs instead of the elevator(even if its one floor of stairs and 4 floors in the elevator versus 5 levels in the elevator). Look up what the healthiest options are at your normal restaurants. Even just making better choices when you do cave and eat out can make a difference. Go to a book store and buy one of those "Eat this instead of that" books that tells you the healthier choices.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 2:07 AM
Do you have health insurance? You need to have your depression and anxiety treated.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 2:20 AM

Do you have a wii? There's a 'game' called dance party where using it you follow the dance on screen and it tracks if you're following their steps to get a high score. I'm not obese but one dance left me sweating and it was a ton of fun. You get your heart going and exercise at the same time. Or look up workout dance videos on youtube. I was listening to some guy (didn't catch everything) who said at one point he weight 700 pounds and all he did was troll people online. He said he would look for people who were down and make them feel worse just for fun. He said he did it to a body buiding group I guess on Facebook and they challenged him to do exercise even if it was sitting in his chair dancing to music or something like that. He said he did and found he was burning calories that way. He found it fun. If you eat take out pick something healthy, add drink mixes to the water or drink koolaid. Soda is my weakness and I can give up almost anything but soda lol. 

ShesSoUnusual
by Cat on Jan. 13, 2017 at 6:02 AM
Oh sweetie, you sound exactly like me when I was 380 pounds.

Back in the day I had my husband help me. I asked him to cook me healthy meals until I was in the mindset to have him show me how and what to cook. Eventually I enjoyed cooking and love it even more that we have a child that I want to pass healthy habits down to.

What might help is thinking about just that...your child. What sort of example do you want to set for him? Do you want him to have the same weight issues as you? Use him for motivation to make yours a healthier household.

Now, in 2009 I ended up having gastric bypass due to health issues. Doing that forced me to eat healthy or I would suffer the consequences. Sometimes I slip but that has really kept me in line. Still a big girl I probably always will be. But never 380 pounds big.

I wish you the best of luck! You can do this.
JalynSpoon
by CajunTarHeel on Jan. 13, 2017 at 6:14 AM

People will say I took the easy way out.. I had WLS. I went from 289 to now I am at 190. I am no where's I need to be, but I went from a size 22/24 to a 12/14/16 (depends on the clothing) & a 2X to a Large shirt.

I gained some recently.. I need to buckle down.

Everyday is a struggle, but I will win.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)