Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moving in with my mom and I don't know if I should sell my house

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 37 Replies
My mother is 90 and needs assistance. I am retired, single, and an empty nester so I can provide her with all the help she needs. My siblings and I have been rotating helping her but as she gets older she is in need of more frequent help.

Ideally she would move in with me because my house is bigger and could be more comfortable but she really doesn't want to do that. She's been in her home for 65 years and doesn't like leaving it. I couldn't force her to move away in her final years.

So I'm moving in with her. She lives 2 hours away so I won't be near my house. I don't know what to do about it. I still have a mortgage to pay and a good amount of land to take care of. I don't know if selling it is a good option because I do love my house and wanted to spend the rest of my days here. But at the end of the day, it's just a house. I want to make a smart decision.

What would you do?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2017 at 1:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 2:00 AM
I wouldn't sell the house. Can you rent it for a few years?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 2:01 AM
It depends on where my kids live
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 2:03 AM
Is there a family member willing to pay a small amount of rent in return for caring for the property?
Princess_s21
by Sarah on Jan. 13, 2017 at 2:03 AM

Can you rent it out? As chances are you could regret selling if you want to go back in the future.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 2:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Being realistic, you probably won't have to live with her for many years, so if you love your house, I'd find a way to keep it. It might end up being awhile, but it's not likely. If you could maybe get a property management company to rent it out and handle things that come up, that might ease the burden of the mortgage, and you wouldn't have to maintain the land, either. If a few years go by and you're still there, you can decide if you want to sell then, but if it's a short time, you still have your home to return to. Good luck with whichever decision you choose!
PS, you might want to repost this during the day hours, you'll get more replies.
Marie207
by on Jan. 13, 2017 at 2:05 AM

I don't see how you could sell it with you still having a mortgage.  Unless you ask too much, you will get beat.  Could you have a family member, and (family member only) that may be in an apartment at the time, rent it from you?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 2:06 AM

Your mom needs to sell. She could require more care than you can provide or pass away shortly after you move and then you will be homeless. Your siblings will expect their due inheritance from the sale of her home and it will cause problems no matter how well you think the understanding is. My SIL experienced huge issues and none of her siblings speak to one another anymore. She never ever expected that, no hint of issues...

redheadtmk
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 2:06 AM

I would rent it out. Or get a second job so that I could pay someone to help my mom at least 3 days a week if not 5.

Iguessiwasbad13
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 2:09 AM
Not everyone has siblings like and no one is due anything.

Quoting Anonymous 6:

Your mom needs to sell. She could require more care than you can provide or pass away shortly after you move and then you will be homeless. Your siblings will expect their due inheritance from the sale of her home and it will cause problems no matter how well you think the understanding is. My SIL experienced huge issues and none of her siblings speak to one another anymore. She never ever expected that, no hint of issues...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 2:13 AM

Quoting Iguessiwasbad13: Not everyone has siblings like and no one is due anything.
Quoting Anonymous 6:

That is my point, it was so unexpected! I agree nobody is due anything, but people do weird things. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)