Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you hire me as your doula?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 100 Replies
Im 24. I'm not certified, but I am trained and have had 16 clients. I have attended a planned c-section and I have attended the 100% intervention-free births. I am trained in aromatherapy (safety and when to use certain scents), I have experience with preeclampsia and I have had three children of my own. I have experienced serving women from different cultures (Hispanic, Chinese, even a woman born in Switzerland). I do not push any of my views on my clients and do not judge, but I support whatever they choose. My passion isn't to change the birth world or see babies be born, my passion is simply to support women.

Personally I both breast and bottle fed, I wear my babies, I don't circ, I vaccinate, and I've had an epidural.

If you wanted a doula, would you hire me given this information?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2017 at 5:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 13, 2017 at 5:47 AM
Bump
kmorales7690
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 5:48 AM
1 mom liked this
If our personalities clicked and we felt comfortable together I would hire you as my birth support yes. I find the way a birth assistant makes me feel is one of the most important things
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 5:49 AM
Do doulas require a certification? I can't imagine anything they do requiring much training.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 5:49 AM
If I went that route probably.
kmorales7690
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 5:54 AM
It really depends on your location and what your state/ area regulations are. My birth assistant wasn't certified in our state because instead of using the state midwifery training and becoming a nurse first (because she strongly disagrees with what they teach here and I've looked into it, it isn't very midwife friendly even though you are supposed to be training to be a midwife) she studied in a missions based program. She is able to call herself a midwife in other states but in mine we have to call her a "birth assistant" because of the state regulations. It's basically the same for doulas ( I'm planning to become a midwife or doula once my kids are older so I have looked into it heavily) basically the state government is trying to regulate and make money off of birth attendants.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Do doulas require a certification? I can't imagine anything they do requiring much training.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 5:54 AM
6 moms liked this
No. I wouldn't trust the judgment of a woman that has 3 kids by the age of 24.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 5:55 AM
I'm sure you're wonderful but I prefer hospitals with medical personnel available .
I had placental abruption with my first baby. Thank God I was in a hospital.
With my next two I was very relaxed and could deal with contractions easily by myself at the hospital . Childbirth was easy without complications the second and third times but I prefer doctors and hospitals .
Libby22
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 5:56 AM
1 mom liked this
No. I would take comfort in someone older with a certification.
Libby22
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 5:57 AM
A doula isn't a midwife.its a support person, and the canbe present at hospital births.

Quoting Anonymous 5: I'm sure you're wonderful but I prefer hospitals with medical personnel available .
With my next two I was very relaxed and could deal with contractions easily by myself at the hospital . Childbirth was easy without complications the second and third times but I prefer doctors and hospitals .
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 6:05 AM
I see. But some doulas are acting as midwives in some cases .

Quoting Libby22: A doula isn't a midwife.its a support person, and the canbe present at hospital births.

Quoting Anonymous 5: I'm sure you're wonderful but I prefer hospitals with medical personnel available .
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)