Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I know when its active labor?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies
I went to l&d about 1am. Started having contractions at 9:30pm. When I got to l&d I was 2cm. I was 2cm on Tuesday at my last exam. They kept me for 3 hours and only moved to about 2.5cm. I'm to go back if my water breaks, bleeding, or I'm in active labor. Or I keep my follow up appointment on Wednesday. God I hope I'm not doing this until Wednesday. How do I know if I'm in active labor? The contractions are a couple mins apart and strong. Just as they were in the hospital. It hurts so bad, I feel like I need meds. I have dh resting. He's going to call out of work today. But I have no idea when I should go back.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2017 at 7:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
honeyrder
by on Jan. 13, 2017 at 7:03 AM
I have no idea. If you are in pain, go back.
krazymom2boyz
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 7:04 AM
I felt the same way. Then I had a contraction that made me sit up and go"Holy Hell! WTH was that!?!?!?" And that's active labor. I was a 5.5 when I went back to the hospital. That was exactly at noon, my son was born by 11:19 that night.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 7:08 AM
I had that for almost a week with my first. :(
Take a hot bath, do some stretching, and try to rest. See a chiro too. You will know. It will hurt so bad that it takes all your effort just to breathe through it. That's active labor.
SAHMJC
by Emerald Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 7:08 AM
They really should have been more specific with you on active labor. If your contractions are coming 5 to 6 minutes apart it's probably time for you to come in. My doctor tells me 5 to 7 minutes but I live about 40 minutes from the hospital so they do take that into account. If your contractions are coming every couple of minutes then you need to get to the hospital. If my contractions were less than 4-5 minutes apart I don't care if I'm not dilating I would refuse to leave.

With my son I was having contractions every 8 to 12 minutes for several days.
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 7:09 AM
I stayed home with pains like that for about 2 days until my water broke like that with my first, it was awful. Good luck.
nanasue31204
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 7:10 AM
You will know when they change over. When you can't walk or talk through them, when changing position doesn't help, usually this tells you to hear back. Of coarse L&D is there for you so if you question it go ahead and go. Worse they can do is send you home again
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 7:13 AM

Mine felt like someone stabbed me as deep as they could with a knife and twisted it around. That was after pitocin started my labor and 2 seconds before I asked for pain meds lol.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 7:13 AM

What you're going through now is the easy part. You'll know when you're in active labor. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)