Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can she do this?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies
My dd is 6 and in kinder. The teacher sent out an email last week asking if all the parents could meet her before or after school today because she has something to discuss with us. I went before school. There were about 15 parents there including me.

She tells us that she wants to implement a dress code in her classroom. She told one mom to stop sending her dd in white clothes because she (the teacher) stresses out trying to keep the kid clean, she told another mom to stop putting her kid in clothes with skulls on them because it's inappropriate for kinder. Then she told me and a dad that our kid's have to have different shoes because she wants a ban on cartoon characters. My dd has paw patrol shoes. Then she said that if we send the kids wearing shirts with sayings make sure the kid can read them because she doesn't want to be asked "what does my shirt say?" 50 times a day. (Her words)

Basically no white, no cartoon characters, nothing scary, and no long sayings on shirts. A couple parents and myself stopped by the principal's office on the way out but he's out of the office in meetings all day. This is a little crazy to me. There is no school wide dress code. My oldest is 13 and my middle is 10 and I've never dealt with anything like this before. Wwyd?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2017 at 8:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 8:13 AM
If it's not school policy or in the handbook I'd tell the teacher to kick rocks
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 8:14 AM
I would talk to the school board asap...
Jojobug13
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 8:15 AM
Yeah no. It isn't school policy so she's SOL.
kelly617
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 8:16 AM

Nope...I would tell the teacher she's out of her mind

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 8:17 AM
I'd go by school policy and if she gives you grief take it higher.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 8:17 AM

Send and email to the principal and assistant principal.  Even if he/she is out of office they will check their mail.

I don't play with that kind of BS

jabs54
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 8:18 AM

She's crazy.

mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Jan. 13, 2017 at 8:19 AM

It doesn't matter if the teacher is stressed about keeping a child clean, or doesn't want to be asked what a shirt says. If the school does not list those things in a dress code, she really can't do anything about it. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

blue-heart
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 8:20 AM
If it's not school policy then I would tell the teacher to shut it.
EarlGrayHot
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 8:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Talk to her superiors and complain about the inapropriate nature of her rant.  Although I would never send my kid in skulls, everyone has their own taste.  Unless this is already a school policy she's nuts to think she can drop this on you.  Tell her none of her requests are legit and you will not be following them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)