Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need healthy alternatives!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 34 Replies

Okay, so I'm a horrible mom, I've bought cheetos and cheerios and processed foods for my kids.  I've recently done research and found out about GMO's and pesticides and want to change what I buy.

Any one know of any non-gmo, healthy chip type snack food? Gummies? Chocolate milk?  Any ideas are welcomed, I'm very new to this.  I did cut out sugary drinks (for eveyone) about 6 months ago and they actually prefer the non-sugared drinks.

Please no bashing, I'm trying to improve and be healthier, and no, our family isn't overweight.

Thank you ladies!!

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2017 at 9:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
honeyrder
by on Jan. 13, 2017 at 9:53 AM
So the kids are now drinking water and white milk, but you want to add chocolate milk? I wouldn't.
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Jan. 13, 2017 at 9:53 AM

We buy all organic food, there's no guarantee that they are completely pesticide free, but there is a guarantee that no pesticides were purposely introduced.....so less than the alternative which is toxic food!  Monsanto and its government supporters, have destroyed our country's agricultural safety!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 9:54 AM
There are organic versions of all of the things you listed. They still contain sugar though so should only be an occasional treat. We eat only organic foods, but I limit the junky organic foods.....they're still junk, lol
rousefam5
by Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this

My advise.....everything in moderation. Cheerios are actually a good cereal. Low in sugar, 100% Whole Grain. Add fruit. If there is anything I would remove from a diet, that would be Cows Milk. Anything to stingent is no good in my opinion. Good luck!

redneckmama4
by Loree on Jan. 13, 2017 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this
You could grow your own veggies and some fruits. Look for farmers markets in your area in the spring.

Eat local and in season. Cook whole foods and make your goodies.
FoxForceFive
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 9:58 AM

Fruits and veggies are best, but when I want something crunchy and salty, I like Snack Factory Pretzel Crisps, Food Should Taste Good tortilla chips, or plain oven baked Lays. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 10:00 AM
Plant a garden! It's easier than you think and you have complete control of what you are eating. I plant in manure so I don't even have to fertilize anything besides the fruit trees. Many seed distributers specify they are non-gmo, some only offer a small selection of non-gmo seeds.

Green beans, carrots, lettuce, spinach, peas, every pepper I've planted, tomatoes, and more...all grow virtually effortlessly. I'd skip the corn completely and, if you have oak trees on your property, skip melons and cucumbers too.
g33k
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 10:01 AM
1 mom liked this

dont buy those things ie. healthy chip snack foods.  those things are never healthy no matter what the ads say.

healthy snacks are things like yogurt with fresh fruit, cheese, just fruit on its own etc.  btw, chocolate milk is loaded with sugar. my dd only drinks water; plain white 2% milk in the mornings with her cereal.

i'm not saying never to buy those things but dont feed them to your kids every day for snacks.  google "healthy snacks for kids" and you'll see a whole bunch of ideas.

rule of thumb: avoid anythign that comes out of a box, bag, or can

skipp2
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 10:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Bake your own pita chips. Just tear up fresh pita bread, toss it with a bit of olive oil and sea salt, bake on 300 until they're light brown and crispy. You can seal them in ziplock bags to keep them fresh.

My kids take them plain or with hummus.

You can also make your own fruit roll ups. Blend fruit (I use frozen mango & strawberries usually.) Spread it thin on parchment paper (on a cookie sheet) bake it low (like 170 ) for about 6-8 hours. Let it cool then roll with the parchment paper still attached, cut into pieces.  They're really, really good.

Also, stop saying you're a bad mother. A bad mother is someone who buys crack instead of food.Not someone who bought cheetos and cheerios!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 13, 2017 at 10:11 AM
No, they're allowed a chocolate milk at breakfast. I was giving instant breakfast but it's genetically modified as is Hershey's syrup. I was hoping to find an alternative

Quoting honeyrder: So the kids are now drinking water and white milk, but you want to add chocolate milk? I wouldn't.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)