Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

At what point is it safe to say your child is going to be tall?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 76 Replies

My son was huge when he was born, 9 lbs 12 oz and 23 inches long. It was a big surprise for us since my husband (5'9") and I (5'4") aren't tall. Our pediatrician said he would probably slow down over the next few months.

Well, here we are 20 months later and he is still off the charts for height and weight. The doctor says while it's still hard to make a solid prediction, the longer he stays on his current growth curve, the more likely he will be tall as an adult. And right now that growth curve is pointing to him being very tall. (DH is thrilled and hoping for over 6 feet, LOL.)

Obviously we will love him no matter what, but I was wondering if anyone else had experience with a similar situation? Thanks! :)

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2017 at 10:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rousefam5
by Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 10:50 AM

Our daughter was born 8lbs 10oz. Grew like beast for the first 12 years and has slowed down quite a bit now at age 14. Girls are different though. I think the story goes, once they get their period their growth starts to slow. She is 5'5". I am 5'3" and hubby is 6'3". I totally understand the hope that your son will be tall. No man wants to be short....or wants his son to be short. My son, now 12, was short and is starting to hit a growth spurt now. Anywho....I get where you are coming from.

TheAnnieMac
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 10:51 AM
I heard that a person's adult height will be twice what they were on their third birthday.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 10:52 AM

when they die.

MissAndree
by Nosuchthing on Jan. 13, 2017 at 10:53 AM

My dd was 24 in at birth. She was 3 ft 3 in on her 2nd birthday. Her pedi used that formula they use and predicted she would be 6 ft 2 in. 

She is. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 10:53 AM

My oldest dd was so tiny when she was little she was 7lbs 0oz and 18 inches at birth, she is now 14 and 5'8" safe to say she will be tall. lolHer dad is 6'4" and I am 5'1".

My Aunts kids are tall, my little cousin was taller then me when she was 7 yrs old and she is taller then my oldest dd, not sure actual height but she is tall.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 10:55 AM

I don't know.  We had a slightly different situation, very short newborn at 17inches, but quickly shot up and has maintained 90%+ in height for 3 years.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 10:55 AM
Just depends on the kid. My oldest will probably be short like me, my youngest was born 22inches long, she is still 82% for height, she is going to be taller for sure.
mojogirl
by Ouiser Boudreaux on Jan. 13, 2017 at 10:55 AM

around 18 years you can safely say how tall they're gonna be.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 10:56 AM
My DD was taller than her kindergarten classmates by a couple of inches. But at 16, she's only 4'11".
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 10:56 AM
My kiddo was only 5 pounds when he was born and he's going to be tall. He is almost as tall as me and he's only 9. By this time next year he'll be taller than me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)