Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

6 years ago today

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies

Our house caught on fire. I'll never forget it. I was at my parents' house because I had a girls' weekend and my DH calls me in the afternoon and says 'Our house is on fire'. At the time we had three cats and a dog. DH's grandmother (who we purchased the house from and who lived with us) was cooking stew at the time and she noticed the smoke. The fire started in my MIL's room (it was started by a piece of clothing on a power strip). 

DH's grandmother was 92 and she was able to get the animals out and call the fire department. MIL's room was gutted and the temperatures rose to 1600 degrees. But the cool thing is that her Bible came through with just a bit of the cover singed, even though it was on her bedside table.

I would never wish something like that on my worst enemy. Fortunately the fire was contained to that room. My DH reloads his own bullets, so it could have been A LOT WORSE. Thank goodness his grandmother was home, too, since many times she and her friend would go to the store on Fridays.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2017 at 11:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Episkey
by on Jan. 13, 2017 at 11:53 AM
It was seven years ago this month that my uncle's house caught fire, it's incredibly scary, I'm glad everyone in your family was ok
lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 11:54 AM

 My house caught fire when I was 9. We lost the whole 2nd story. We couldn't live in our home for 8/9 months. We were split up as a family it was awful. What a horrible ordeal. Like you we all got out including our animals.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 13, 2017 at 11:55 AM

Thank you. Yes, it is very scary. How did your uncle do?

Quoting Episkey: It was seven years ago this month that my uncle's house caught fire, it's incredibly scary, I'm glad everyone in your family was ok


Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 11:55 AM

Was your fire posted in the newspaper, specifically the bit about the Bible?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 13, 2017 at 11:58 AM

Wow that is sad. But at least everyone got out okay. Items can be replaced, people can't. We were fortunate that the parsonage is next door and they DH's grandmother and mother stay there. DH and I stayed at the house when we knew it was safe to oversee the rennovations. My SIL took care of our dog and the cats stayed at the parsonage too.

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

 My house caught fire when I was 9. We lost the whole 2nd story. We couldn't live in our home for 8/9 months. We were split up as a family it was awful. What a horrible ordeal. Like you we all got out including our animals.


Catherinesmom12
by on Jan. 13, 2017 at 11:58 AM
That's so sad.

A few years ago someone lit a fire in a dumpster and threw in ammo. Few people were killed
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 13, 2017 at 11:59 AM

I'm sure the fire was in the paper, but I don't think so about the Bible. I've thought about writing the story and submitting it to Guideposts though.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Was your fire posted in the newspaper, specifically the bit about the Bible?


Episkey
by on Jan. 13, 2017 at 12:00 PM
My uncle unfortunately passed away. In all of the confusion he thought his kids were still in the house so he ran back inside to get them. They were actually spending the night at their grandparent's house.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Thank you. Yes, it is very scary. How did your uncle do?

Quoting Episkey: It was seven years ago this month that my uncle's house caught fire, it's incredibly scary, I'm glad everyone in your family was ok

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 13, 2017 at 12:01 PM

People are sick.

Quoting Catherinesmom12: That's so sad. A few years ago someone lit a fire in a dumpster and threw in ammo. Few people were killed


Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 12:01 PM

It doesn't seem like much of a 'miracle' to me for the Bible to remain unburned while extensive fire damage was done to the house in the first place.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

I'm sure the fire was in the paper, but I don't think so about the Bible. I've thought about writing the story and submitting it to Guideposts though.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Was your fire posted in the newspaper, specifically the bit about the Bible?



Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)