Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What will happen if I'm diagnosed with narcolepsy?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies
My doctor suspects I have narcolepsy. I need to get a sleep study done. If I have it, will they take my license? What will happen? :/.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2017 at 1:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 13, 2017 at 1:13 PM
Bump
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jan. 13, 2017 at 1:16 PM
I'd hope they'd take it! You can't drive if you may fall asleep at any moment.
SAHMJC
by Emerald Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 1:17 PM
I believe they would and I certainly hope so. I mean do you really want to risk falling asleep at the wheel? I know when it's epilepsy you cannot have your driver's license for a certain amount of time and you have to go a certain amount of time without a seizure. I don't know if there's medication that can control narcolepsy
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 13, 2017 at 1:24 PM
I've almost fallen asleep driving many times, but when I feel it coming on, I pull over. I've been driving for years and have never been in an accident.

Quoting Danesmommy1: I'd hope they'd take it! You can't drive if you may fall asleep at any moment.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 1:25 PM

My cousin has nacrolepsy and she is not allowed to drive.    Why risk hurting yourself or someone else when yoiu know that you have a sleep disorder.   Also, for my cousin, she progressively got worse.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 1:27 PM
Narcolepsy isn't necessarily how they depict on tv. You may not spontaneously just fall asleep. It could mean that you become exhausted for no reason throughout the day.
EntrepeneurMom
by The Major on Jan. 13, 2017 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Sorry, I agree with this. It's not fair to put other people in danger.

Quoting Danesmommy1: I'd hope they'd take it! You can't drive if you may fall asleep at any moment.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jan. 13, 2017 at 2:17 PM
Well, that's some bullshit right there. You could kill somebody!

Quoting Anonymous 1: I've almost fallen asleep driving many times, but when I feel it coming on, I pull over. I've been driving for years and have never been in an accident.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 2:19 PM

I would assume they will. They took my dad's away when he started having seizures. 

cupcake7734
by on Jan. 13, 2017 at 2:24 PM
Some people with narcolepsy DO drive. It all depends on the severity of your affliction, your doctor, and the kind of medication you are taking. There is no 'one size fits all' answer.

There is a girl who posts videos on YouTube about her life with narcolepsy. I believe she does drive, attends school full time, etc. I'll see if I can find her page.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)