Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Didn't pass kindergarten screening because he is to shy. Help....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 109 Replies
My ds who will be 5 next month had to take his kindergarten screening today. He refused to do anything but hide behind me refusing to sit down or even talk to the teachers. I know hes behind for his age due to a speech delay. He was in speech services through the school last year and then also started doing this clinging and refusing to do the exercises in speech class to the point that we had to stop going for the past year. I hoped it would get better but its only worse now a year later. I dont know what to do... the school rescheduled the screening but hes going to do the same thing next time. Im frustrated he wont do this and worried he will keep getting further behind with his speech if i cant get him in school, but have no clue what to do. Does anyone have a kid this shy that he hides behind you and wont let go or talk to anyone else??? Can he really fail the screening and not go to kindergarten for being shy??? Hes smart and i know he can do this but he just wont do it. I tried bribing, getting tough, and every thing else. He would just cry and hide his face the whole time. I asked at the school if its normal and they said he should be more dependant by 5... ughhhh i dont know what to do.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2017 at 1:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 1:22 PM
How much interaction does he have with other people? Kids his age and adults?

I would try to put him in social activities, include him in daily routines (helping you shop at the store), and try to increase his confidence.
yabbadabba07
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 1:23 PM
2 moms liked this
Can someone else take him next time? You stay home?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 1:23 PM
2 moms liked this

I'd talk with the school he would be going to and find out about having him assessed and services put into place.  I'd get him into play therapy for the anxiety and try to get him engaged in structured activities with other kids like sports or classes.  He is going to have a really rough time in kindergarten if you don't start working on this asap.  You could face school refusal issues, selective mutism, and behaviors that could be disruptive to the class.  You don't want the district to put pressure on you to hold him back if he is ready academically because more time in itself will not solve the problem  

EntrepeneurMom
by The Major on Jan. 13, 2017 at 1:23 PM
Sounds like he's not ready for school, maybe get some help for his behaviour and try again in 6 months.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 1:25 PM
Have you worked with him on being more independent and less shy? Put him in social situations slowly? Stopping previous classes because he was shy probably wasn't the best idea.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 1:25 PM
Does he go to pre-k?
Northern.Maple
by on Jan. 13, 2017 at 1:25 PM

Screening for Kindergarten? Never heard such a thing in my life. lol

Here is a bump!

PinkButterfly66
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 1:26 PM

What is the compulsary age for school in your state?  In my state, it is 5.  There is no failing kindergarten screening.  All children must attend school at 5.  It used to be 7 but we now have statewide kindergarten.  

Is he in any play groups?  I would try to find some play groups for him and perhaps a part time preschool that is only 3 days a week for half a day to help him get used to a classroom setting.  It could make the world of difference for him to help him get ready for kindergarten in the Fall.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this
This is the consequence of not having your child dependent.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 1:27 PM
Can he be left alone with the teachers and maybe he'll open up then, or a friend of yours that he isn't overly familiar with take him?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)