Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it time to let go?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies

My son will be in 3rd grade next year. He will be 8.

Is it time to let go and let him walk to school or ride his bike to school himself?

I currently walk him to school as I don't have a license.

I see other little kids younger than him walking home alone.

For the most part he'd be in a group of kids but for about a block and a half he'd be alone. The school is about 2.5-3 blocks away.

Am I being overprotective by not letting him walk alone?

I have no questions about him knowing the way. I'm more afraid of a kidnapper than anything else.

It would benefit me also next year if he walked to and from school. I could go into work earlier and make more money. Currently I can't go into work until 4, because the shifts are either 7-3 or 3-11. They have been working with me letting me come in 4-11 but if he walked to school himself I could work any shift.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2017 at 1:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
awelling
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this
It's a personal choice. I wouldn't let anyone's opinion make you second guess yourself.
engagedandproud
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 1:54 PM
Is he mature enough to walk alone? How far away is the school?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 1:58 PM

I think it's fine to still walk him. I would.

ninjakids
by Christina on Jan. 13, 2017 at 1:58 PM
This. Ods will be 8 this summer and I wouldn't trust him to walk to the bus stop which is just two houses (and then crossing a street) away. Yds will be 6 in the summer and I could probably trust him to.

Ods has his head in the clouds a lot, yds is task oriented.

So it really depends on the child

Quoting engagedandproud: Is he mature enough to walk alone? How far away is the school?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 13, 2017 at 1:59 PM

2.5-3 blocks. He can't get the bus cause they don't offer that here unless you live 1 mile or more away from the school.

I don't know how to judge if he's mature enough but he knows to cross the street safely and to scream and run if a stranger approaches him.

Quoting engagedandproud: Is he mature enough to walk alone? How far away is the school?

SneezyAl
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 2:00 PM
Ask your son how he feels about it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 2:02 PM
What about early releases, school closings, late starts, school breaks and summer vacation?
SunshneDaydream
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 2:05 PM
Of course it depends on the child and only you know your child, but I would and do trust my 8 yr old to walk a few blocks by himself. He rides the bus but the bus stop is around the corner and he can walk there and back alone. As long as it's not a busyear road I don't see an issue.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 13, 2017 at 2:05 PM

They don't do early releases here for elementary kids.

If there's a delay or closing, they always let us know super early, before DH has to go to work. So DH can take him to my Mom's if I had to work.

2 hour delays 99% of the time turn into closings, if there is one not weather related we get those on a calender at the start of the school year. So I can always adjust my work schedule accordingly.

Summer vacay my Mom will watch him. DH is already on vacation for their winter break.

Quoting Anonymous 3: What about early releases, school closings, late starts, school breaks and summer vacation?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 2:06 PM

It's worth considering because it could be nice for you to be able to work the 7-3pm shift. I think he'd be fine.  Maybe get him a phone and a safety alarm to clip somewhere handy in case something happens.  I'd also see if there is an older kid in the neighborhood  who you trust who wouldn't mind making sure he gets home safely.  It sounds like they all live fairly close.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)