Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For the workouts guru.... PLEASE HELP LOL

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies

I have a small OBSESSION with my scale, but I want to lose inches at the same time. When I did the p90x I saw results in my body three days in. I lost inches quickly, but I also gained like a 1 a day. I was on a strict diet so it was not what I was eating but the exercises I did. So I just did cardio instead. Could I lose weight and inches If I do cardio 4 days a week, and at least two times a week p90x?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2017 at 1:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Nuggit222
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 1:55 PM

I am not a fitness guru but I think so. It all depends though on what type of cardio? What is the level of intensity? Are you doing a variety of cardio (i.e. running, HIIT, fitness classes, spinning etc etc). I think the idea is that you have some variety and try to meet goals, like run farther or faster as time goes on. I lost a good amount of weight just by running a few years ago but as mentioned I made goals for myself to increase my pace and distance.

iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 1:58 PM
You're going to lose pounds when you work out and eat at a deficit.
The catch is, if you're doing that much working out, you're going to have to eat enough calories to fuel your body and workouts.

It takes time...of course.

So you could lose lbs and inches as long as you're eating at a deficit (don't starve yourself) and working out.

I think it is smart to do a little of both if you're trying to lose.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 13, 2017 at 2:03 PM

To be honest some days I do an hour of low intensity workouts and some I do 1 hour of high intensity workouts. In the end I always feel like dying. This days I am dying a bit less. My problem is my back. If I push to hard then I have to stop exercising for weeks because my back hurts a LOT, to the point that sneezing can make me scream. Still, I keep pushing, but to be honest a bit at a time. 

Quoting Nuggit222:

I am not a fitness guru but I think so. It all depends though on what type of cardio? What is the level of intensity? Are you doing a variety of cardio (i.e. running, HIIT, fitness classes, spinning etc etc). I think the idea is that you have some variety and try to meet goals, like run farther or faster as time goes on. I lost a good amount of weight just by running a few years ago but as mentioned I made goals for myself to increase my pace and distance.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 13, 2017 at 2:05 PM

Thank you! I am trying to find a balance. I starved myself one day and I lost 3lbs, then I did not lose any more weight. I hate exercising, but I am doing it. Thank you for the advice.

Quoting iamcafemom83: You're going to lose pounds when you work out and eat at a deficit. The catch is, if you're doing that much working out, you're going to have to eat enough calories to fuel your body and workouts. It takes time...of course. So you could lose lbs and inches as long as you're eating at a deficit (don't starve yourself) and working out. I think it is smart to do a little of both if you're trying to lose.

iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 2:12 PM
My pleasure‚̧
Keep at it, and read anything you can. You will find that magic combo of working out, losing the weight and inches and eating that works for you.
Go girl!

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Thank you! I am trying to find a balance. I starved myself one day and I lost 3lbs, then I did not lose any more weight. I hate exercising, but I am doing it. Thank you for the advice.

Quoting iamcafemom83: You're going to lose pounds when you work out and eat at a deficit.
The catch is, if you're doing that much working out, you're going to have to eat enough calories to fuel your body and workouts.

It takes time...of course.

So you could lose lbs and inches as long as you're eating at a deficit (don't starve yourself) and working out.

I think it is smart to do a little of both if you're trying to lose.

mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Jan. 13, 2017 at 2:19 PM

Just out of curiosity...how long did you do P90X that you gained? It is absolutely normal to "gain" as your muscles are retaining water as they are tearing and they will eventually shed that "water" and you will lose inches as well as lbs as you are gaining lean muscle mass. It takes 6-12 weeks to gain 1 lb of muscle..

Also, 3 days is not a great guide as that was just water weight that you were shedding. It was not real weight loss. Weight training is actually the most beneficial as you burn calories *after* your workout whereas with cardio, you only burn calories during the workout. So, if you lift weights more than 2x per week and combine it with HIIT, you will burn calories at a faster rate, build muscle at a faster rate and will lose weight/ inches more rapidly. 

All that said, diet is 90% of the battle. You can't out exercise a poor diet. As long as you are eating well, you will see better results. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

g33k
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this

work on your core; this will reduce pressure on your back and ALWAYS keep your core engaegd during exercise.

so here's the thing regarding weight and inches - inches is actually a better gauge of how you're doing, physically. 

the scale (weight) doesn't take into consideration your muscle to fat ratio and is actually misleading...it's normal for the scale to fluctuate anywhere between 2-4lbs and a lot of factors could vary the number - where you are in your cycle, water retention etc....so the scale for those who obsessively look at it is actually demotivating and can derail your progress.  go by inches lost, how your clothes fit and how you feel - these are the best ways to gauge progress.

p90x will help you burn the fat (to some degree) but you will put on muscle because of the weight lifting.  pound for pound, the fat you lose, if you continue with p90x, will be replaced by muscle which in my opinion, is amazing. muscle mass is leaner, helps your body burn more calories while at rest and you look strong and you are fit.

example:  i'm 5'3 and i'm a size 2.  just by looking at me, people are surprised at how much i actually weigh (between 125-130lbs) because they think i'm a lot lighter than that.  I'm lean but i have a lot of muscle mass on me from martial arts training and weight lifting.  before i decided to overhaul my health, i was about 145-147lbs and a size 8/10.  although i only dropped around 15lbs or so, i lost a bunch of inches so as you can see, weight and inches don't really correlate.

ps - make sure you're eating enough to fuel your body for your workouts!

Quoting Anonymous 1:

To be honest some days I do an hour of low intensity workouts and some I do 1 hour of high intensity workouts. In the end I always feel like dying. This days I am dying a bit less. My problem is my back. If I push to hard then I have to stop exercising for weeks because my back hurts a LOT, to the point that sneezing can make me scream. Still, I keep pushing, but to be honest a bit at a time. 

Quoting Nuggit222:

Nuggit222
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 2:26 PM

Do you have a pre-existing back issue? Like sciatica? I don't even think you need to do it for an hour, maybe instead throw in some 20-30 minute HIIT sessions during the week in place of 1 hour cardio. If you do have back issues, it might be a good idea to focus on core work too to strengthen that area. And do plenty of stretching before and after to loosen up. Again, not a trainer or anything, though I have trained with a professional, have friends that are trainers and yoga instructors and this is some of the advice they have given me.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting Nuggit222:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)