Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

You are in jail because of you I'm not putting money in your account nor do I owe you anything

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 39 Replies
So Christmas Eve we went over to my in-laws house as always. We got to talking and my mother-in-law mentioned that she would like us to come over the following night which was Christmas night to have dinner with them as well because they've got family who are coming in from out of town and she like everybody to get together. We told her that we're sorry but we already have plans for Christmas dinner. My father-in-law got very agitated about that and said that all of my family is in town so we can see these people any time so we need to be over at their house for Christmas dinner. Again we said no that we are splitting the time evenly between both sides of the family. It went on and my father kept getting agitated. He had been drinking and as the night went on he got progressively more drunk and agitated so we decided to go ahead and leave early. As we were walking to the car my mother-in-law ran out following us out saying please don't leave you're already not coming over tomorrow night let's try to have a good night. And we said no father-in-law is already drunk and keeps trying to bring up plans for the next night. So she ran back inside and I guess she got my father-in-law because as my husband was closing the door my father-in-law comes running out sayings don't go. He was angry. My husband said no that we are going. He yelled after him that he's ruining Christmas and he should put his own mother before he puts his wife. It got into a very nasty argument where my husband told his father to get away from him and we will not be coming back. He got in the car and drove away. By the time we got to the End of the Street we noticed my fil behind us. First of all we knew he was drunk so the first thing I did was I called the police. Because the guy is drunk. We figured he would follow us around the neighborhood so rather than pull out onto a busy street we just kind of circled around the neighborhood. He ended up rear-ending us just as the police showed up. Not hard he was only going about 10 miles an hour period but hard enough where it is considered an accident caused by drunk driving. The police came and ended up arresting him for driving drunk.

After the police got our statement we went home. My mother-in-law called and asked if we could help make bail and we said no. She got angry because she felt that this was our fault as well that if we had just driven back home he would have been home and there would have been no reason to arrest him. The second he turned the key in his ignition he was wrong. And again we didn't want to go back to her house.

He was sentenced to 90 days in jail. He has lost his job and lost his driver's license. My mother-in-law is at her Wit's End and I do feel bad for her to an extent. But she keeps making excuses for my father-in-law and coming up with reasons why this is our fault. Now she's calling us and saying that we need to put money in his account so he can buy things because there are inmates who are using the fact that he's an older man and beating on him if he won't give them stuff from the jails store.

It's just not happening and I don't even feel bad for him. He drove drunk and hit our car with his grandchildren in the car. He was being unreasonable and on rational and I think he's getting what he deserves. I'm not also sending large amounts of money to put in his account. Because it's not like I can send $2 and then he can get a soda. The sodas are like $5 or something like that and that's just for a single serving thing of soda. I'm not willing to spend that kind of money.

Anyway my mother-in-law has started a GoFundMe account and nobody's contributing to it because they have all heard our side of the story. But the only reason they've heard our side of the story is because she called around and told people half-truths and outright lies about what actually happened so we had to clarify the situation
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2017 at 2:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jsjammerz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 2:13 PM
I agree with you. It's shitty, but MIL needs to realize that he's a danger to everyone on the road. And with rear ending your car with the kids in it? I'd cut both of them off and I'm not one to cut people out of my life.
NiamhWitch
by Póg mo thóin on Jan. 13, 2017 at 2:13 PM
What a mess.
nanalyn1
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 2:14 PM

I don't feel sorry for him...he drove the car...he could have killed you and the kids....or someone else....He put himself in jail...don't send money...

zacmacsmomm
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 2:14 PM

Well that's fucked up

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jan. 13, 2017 at 2:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Talk about family drama on Christmas! Damn.
Talkingheads
by Emerald Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 2:16 PM
The best thing for your family is to cut them all out
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 13, 2017 at 2:27 PM
Yep the only good thing is my husband will never be able to bring up The Miner family drama in my family ever again

Quoting Danesmommy1: Talk about family drama on Christmas! Damn.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 13, 2017 at 2:27 PM
I think so too but my husband is hesitant to cut his mother out only because she didn't do anything. Except now she's justifying my father-in-law's Behavior trying to put the blame off on us and trying to get us to help him financially

Quoting Talkingheads: The best thing for your family is to cut them all out
Talkingheads
by Emerald Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 2:35 PM
Explain to him that your MIL is enabling her husband to act this way and its just as much her fault as FIL to why his children were put in danger

Quoting Anonymous 1: I think so too but my husband is hesitant to cut his mother out only because she didn't do anything. Except now she's justifying my father-in-law's Behavior trying to put the blame off on us and trying to get us to help him financially

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 13, 2017 at 2:38 PM
I actually do not agree with that part. His decision to get in the car drunk and chase after us were his and his alone. She was not in the car nor do I have any reason to believe that she told him to do so. My issue is that now that it's happened she's trying to blame it on us and trying to make us help him. And that part you're right she is enabling him. I think this time in jail is the best thing for him

Quoting Talkingheads: Explain to him that your MIL is enabling her husband to act this way and its just as much her fault as FIL to why his children were put in danger

Quoting Anonymous 1: I think so too but my husband is hesitant to cut his mother out only because she didn't do anything. Except now she's justifying my father-in-law's Behavior trying to put the blame off on us and trying to get us to help him financially

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)