Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

GAG, Sewer smell, please help me get rid of it.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies

Our drain was clogged, poured some liquid plumber down it, and it didn't work.  Gave in and called a plumber yesterday. Due to the fact I had poured the drain cleaner in, I had to put baking soda and leave it for 24 hours.  He came and the drain is clear, but the smell is overwhelming, it is 0 degrees outside and I did open the windows briefly.

I am nervous to pour anything down the sink, I imagine because it is cold outside the smell is worse, because it is warm up the pipe?  Any ideas how to get rid of it? It is making us all gag!

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2017 at 2:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MysticLove
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 2:41 PM

Bathroom or kitchen drain? If it is in the kitchen, use the garbage disposal with some lemon or orange rinds. Bathroom I have no help.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 2:42 PM

You might try a box fan in the window blowing outward. It'll suck the air from the room and blow it outside but it will also do that with your heat.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 13, 2017 at 2:43 PM

Kitchen, we are in the middle of an ice storm and I have no lemons, I sure wish I did!!!

Quoting MysticLove:

Bathroom or kitchen drain? If it is in the kitchen, use the garbage disposal with some lemon or orange rinds. Bathroom I have no help.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 2:45 PM
Vinegar and hot water. Lots of vinegar
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 2:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Do you have a septic tank?  If so, it may be full and needs to be pumped.  If it is full, it can back up into the house.  It iwll come into the drain that is the lowest point in the house.  In our case, that is our master bedroom.

If you have that smell, I would call the plumber back becuse it could be gases coming from your septic system.

mrsrodgers0703
by Emerald Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 2:52 PM
Do you have any vinegar? I would pour a ton of vinegar down it. Like a gallon.
happyolechimp
by vera on Jan. 13, 2017 at 2:56 PM
run the water til odor is gone...what the other person said too ...if you have a septic tank
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 2:57 PM

Quoting mrsrodgers0703: Do you have any vinegar? I would pour a ton of vinegar down it. Like a gallon.
2lilanklebiters
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 3:01 PM
2 moms liked this

Is there water in your p-trap?

Usually there if there is no evident present back up  and there is still a smell of sewer coming out of a particular drain then chances are the trap is dry. Run some water for small amount of time - this is the most common problem with an equally simple solution.

If there is still a smell there could be an issue in your main stack. Have the plumber back and have him take a look at where your kitchen group ties into the 4" stack line. Could be grease and grime and decaying matter stuck on the piping (we see this a lot with galvanized waste lines) and its causing it to ferment and cause a the smell to radiate back up in the drains.

Even more so, if the smell is overpowering there could very well be a break in the sewer line. Especially being that it is winter, you just had a back up and if your lines are clay, the standing water in the sewer main could have frozen causing the water to expand and possibly crack the sewer line. I would recommend having a video scope at this point to see where the break in the line occurred. You can always find a break with out it if you put a sewer snake down and the head comes back out with either dirt or polished looking. If there is a sewer break, generally you will smell the sewer smell in more than just a drain line, you will smell it over a whole generalized area, by the walls, up from the floor, in the basement in the same general area.

Your best bet is to call the plumber back out.

Note: This info is for a public sewer hook up. I have zero knowlage of septic tanks, we dont work on them.

I am a manager for a plumbing company.. I deal with this stuff on the front lines every day. Plumbing is a nasty business. The worst for me is site assessments. I hate them, especially the "before" site assessments. I once had to go assess a toilet so backed up with shit, 10 people must have shit in there before they called their maintence plan to call us to come out. So fucking gross

left.drowning
by Fix Me on Jan. 13, 2017 at 3:04 PM
Usually when ours smells its the septic that needs pumped.

Or a sewage back up.

I use smokers candles to get rid of nasty smells.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)