Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Medically fragile children in school

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 78 Replies
I have 2 friends with medically fragile children. Both received different kinds of transplants. While in hospital both children received work packets from the school and both face timed as "home bound" students.

When they were strong enough to go to school:

Alison's child wore a face mask every day to limit contact with germs. When a student came to school sick Alison was contacted and Alison's child was either sent home with work or worked in the school's office. When the teacher had to work while sick the same thing happened.

Bethany's child never wore a face mask. When other children got sick Bethany requested that her child remain in the classroom, without a mask. When a teacher got sick Bethany requested that a sub be brought in each and every time so her child could remain in the class room. The child is NEVER in a mask.

Now, I'm a teacher and feel Bethany is being unreasonable. (None of these kids are in my classes, btw. In fact they aren't even at my grade level. I just see the hugely different approaches that my friends have and am curious about how others feel.)

Teachers wash hands and work through minor illnesses in order to keep the curriculum rolling. When subs are called the teaching gets put on hold and students mainly do worksheets and practice work until the teacher returns. If subs are constantly being called, then the academics will suffer.

What do you think is a fair and reasonable accommodation for the school to make? What do you think of Bethany's request?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2017 at 5:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 5:05 PM

Sick kids are nastier than teachers, at least teachers have common sense to wash hands and cover their mouths when sneezing.  I don't get it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 13, 2017 at 5:09 PM
Right?!?

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Sick kids are nastier than teachers, at least teachers have common sense to wash hands and cover their mouths when sneezing.  I don't get it.

StoneColdKiller
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 5:10 PM

I think parents, parent the way they wish. I dont see a issue with either of them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 5:12 PM
The sickly children should be kept at home. I think every child has a right to attend school but not if it causes major disruptions in the school
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 13, 2017 at 5:13 PM
True. But Bethany's case her child is constantly being exposed to germs since she isn't wearing a mask, AND all the kids suffer since there is a pretty steady stream of subs being called. Pink eye, colds, flue, stomach bug.... The class has a lot of subs.

Quoting StoneColdKiller:

I think parents, parent the way they wish. I dont see a issue with either of them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 5:13 PM

I think Bethany is trying to keep things as normal as possible for her child.  If the doc agrees, I see nothing wrong with it.  I don't see how Bethany is being unreasonable.  She is asking for nothing. Alison is the one who wants special treatment for her child

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 13, 2017 at 5:13 PM
I agree, but many parents dose the kid on mess and send them anyway. Sick kids at school is very common.

Quoting Anonymous 3: The sickly children should be kept at home. I think every child has a right to attend school but not if it causes major disruptions in the school
ReedusStalker
by 11-15/3-27 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 5:15 PM

How are the other kids suffering?

Quoting Anonymous 1: True. But Bethany's case her child is constantly being exposed to germs since she isn't wearing a mask, AND all the kids suffer since there is a pretty steady stream of subs being called. Pink eye, colds, flue, stomach bug.... The class has a lot of subs.
Quoting StoneColdKiller:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 5:15 PM
1 mom liked this
They should keep their children home. Its iresponsable of those parents to put children who a common cold could kill in a classroom with other children. It should be mandatory for these children to remain at home until healthy. That said all children who are sick should promptly be sent home and any teacher who shows up sick should be written up and fined.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 5:17 PM

Technically there's nothing wrong with either approach. However I'd do something in the middle. I'd make my child wear a mask and I'd actually request that any child (or teacher) that is sick wear one as well. I'd even provide them if necessary.

However I would be pissed if the school tried to send my child home just because some other parent couldnt' keep their sick one home. Especially in winter. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)