Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My work keeps asking for money

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies
In the last month we've had two baby showers for coworkers, one lose an immediate family member, one have a serious family emergency, a wedding AND now another baby shower. I have spent somewhere along $150 on gifts or money for these things. Today I had enough. There are currently 3 cards sitting in our break room all of which asking for monetary donations for family emergencies. My boss asked me if I had given money yet and I told her that I was financially tapped out between all of the other requests for money in the last few weeks and cannot do it anymore.

She got upset saying they paid me more than enough to pay in $10 for each card. I simply shrugged and said I'm not working so that I can support my coworkers financially and that my own family comes first.

Honestly I could afford it BUT I'm over the constant requests for money. Not only that but they really don't pay me that much at all. I work there because I love my job but she knows just as much as I do that if I wanted to I could make a lot more than what I'm making with them.

I need a better answer for the next time there is a request for money.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2017 at 6:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
iwicked
by Sugar Magnolia on Jan. 13, 2017 at 7:00 PM
Gifts should be gifts. We always had slush funds for such events. Everyone.pitched in x amount of money per month. Don't give if you don't want to.
Mommy091411
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 7:01 PM
Just say sorry I can't help at this time
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jan. 13, 2017 at 7:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Mandatory gifts aren't gifts at all. I don't blame you being over getting nickel and dime'd to death.
Theresa1209
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 7:02 PM
2 moms liked this
You should NEVER feel obligated to give, especially in your place of employment. If they want to sit the cards out, fine. But her asking you is inappropriate in my opinion.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 13, 2017 at 7:02 PM
Each year we are asked to pay $30 into a similar fund which is headed up by a volunteer committee. I've paid it BUT apparently half my coworkers have not which has led to them pretty much abusing the handful of us who pay every time or get gifts for each event.

Quoting iwicked: Gifts should be gifts. We always had slush funds for such events. Everyone.pitched in x amount of money per month. Don't give if you don't want to.
kncevans
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 7:02 PM
"No." Is a complete sentence.
quinnsmom715
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 7:03 PM

no.is a complete sentence.if boss makes you uncomfortable about it,talk to hr..

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 7:03 PM
2 moms liked this

Boss should not be asking who is and isn't contributing. 

No one ever asks at work and we give what we can when we can, no big deal. 

rachel216
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 7:03 PM
Just say it's not your business if I've donated or bought gifts or whatever.
lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 7:03 PM

I would say NO and leave it at that. if the boss try to press you for a why not ? just say No Im not and please stop asking me why .

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)