Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ok, that's worrisome (dd started her period)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 141 Replies
Did is 10 and apparently started her period yesterday but didn't say a word about it until late tonight. Luckily she didn't start really heavy. I've always been open, honest, and told her to come to me with anything. But she's just a very private person I guess.
We've talked about everything so many times. I don't know why she didn't come straight to me. She doesn't know why either. So tonight we covered periods, sex, and homosexuality. Again. We've talked about all this before.

Anybody have a kid like this? Do you just randomly ask questions or what?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2017 at 11:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GentleHeartsPA
by Lanie on Jan. 13, 2017 at 11:43 PM
5 moms liked this
Why is it worriesome??
It sounds like you gave her a good talk before it happened.
It sounds like you gave her such a good talk that she knew what to do, wasnt afraid of it and just handled it like you taught her.
Ultrakiwi
by Glockenspiel on Jan. 13, 2017 at 11:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Some kids are just embarrassed. I didn't tell, either. Wasn't comfortable talking about it until 5 years later.
Mainly because I knew if I told a parent the who extended family would know, but it's normal.
SmurfGoneBad
by on Jan. 13, 2017 at 11:47 PM
I didn't tell my mom...we never really talked about it. She figured it out when she noticed pads missing.
Mrs.Pedro
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 11:47 PM
I was like this. I still don't know why lol. I guess embarrassment from having it... Idk. I still don't talk about it with my mom. So I'm not sure what to tell you. I just snuck my mom's stuff, so I'm pretty sure she knew but just didn't bring it up lol.

I hope you get some better answers
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 11:48 PM
2 moms liked this
Just keep pads fully stocked and if you notice her using them during the month buy her chocolate. Get her a heating pad for cramps and suggest an app on her phone or tablet to track her cycle. Schedule a visit to the gynecologist. Get her on some type of birth control. Look I'm not saying she's going to be sexually active but protect her. Providing her bc young and long before she needs it helps regulate her cycle and build up protection against pregnancy. God forbid she is raped in 2 years then at least she is protected against an unwanted pregnancy. As soon as my dd gets her period she's going on birth control.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 13, 2017 at 11:49 PM
I gues just because she didn't come to me. She tossed her underwear and hoped for the best. I've told her about pads and tampons and to come to me when it happened. Then it happened and she didn't. I use cloth pads and menstrual cups so this talk was much more on depth as I covered all that. Before it even happened I didn't really give her anything. I thought I had another year or so. We just talked.

Quoting GentleHeartsPA: Why is it worriesome??
It sounds like you gave her a good talk before it happened.
It sounds like you gave her such a good talk that she knew what to do, wasnt afraid of it and just handled it like you taught her.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 11:52 PM
I was afraid to tell my mom. But I didn't know what a period was so I thought my vagina was hurt or I was dying. All that matters is she knows what's happening and you have an open line of communication.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 13, 2017 at 11:52 PM
I guess sex is my biggest fear. I want that open line of communication. I'm going to get her a few things to try period wise. And I'll bring up conversation. She'll talk to me but she won't initiate anything with questions. She has a heating pad for her legs already. I'm buying her a small calwndar tomorrow. I don't want to start hormonal birth control for a while if I can avoid it. She's so young.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Just keep pads fully stocked and if you notice her using them during the month buy her chocolate. Get her a heating pad for cramps and suggest an app on her phone or tablet to track her cycle. Schedule a visit to the gynecologist. Get her on some type of birth control. Look I'm not saying she's going to be sexually active but protect her. Providing her bc young and long before she needs it helps regulate her cycle and build up protection against pregnancy. God forbid she is raped in 2 years then at least she is protected against an unwanted pregnancy. As soon as my dd gets her period she's going on birth control.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 11:54 PM
Maybe the mini pill? I'm thinking iud for my dd or depo dd isn't even in kindergarten yet but it's something that I will have to help her with before I know it!

Quoting Anonymous 1: I guess sex is my biggest fear. I want that open line of communication. I'm going to get her a few things to try period wise. And I'll bring up conversation. She'll talk to me but she won't initiate anything with questions. She has a heating pad for her legs already. I'm buying her a small calwndar tomorrow. I don't want to start hormonal birth control for a while if I can avoid it. She's so young.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Just keep pads fully stocked and if you notice her using them during the month buy her chocolate. Get her a heating pad for cramps and suggest an app on her phone or tablet to track her cycle. Schedule a visit to the gynecologist. Get her on some type of birth control. Look I'm not saying she's going to be sexually active but protect her. Providing her bc young and long before she needs it helps regulate her cycle and build up protection against pregnancy. God forbid she is raped in 2 years then at least she is protected against an unwanted pregnancy. As soon as my dd gets her period she's going on birth control.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 13, 2017 at 11:56 PM
She finally told me. I use a menstrual cup so there's nothing for her to take. I felt horrible. I'm going to Walmart in the morning for her.

Quoting SmurfGoneBad: I didn't tell my mom...we never really talked about it. She figured it out when she noticed pads missing.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)