Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

People who think food stamps should be ran like WIC

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 206 Replies
1 mom liked this
Anyone who has ever been on WIC knows how WIC works. It has been a long time since I have been on WIC so I may be wrong.

WIC you go in every 3 Month for voucher now I think it is a card on somd areas. WIC is designed for pregnant women, infant and toddler 5 and under. You go in hey access you, they take your child weight and height and talk about your children problem and possibly dietary restriction. Aka a baby who can't use regular formula but has to use soy and so forth.

With food stamps it is more varied. People from infancy to the elderly can receive food stamps. Here when you apply for snap, you fill out an application online, the interview is done over the phone. You never even see a worker here. If they did it like WIC. That wouldn't work any longer. They would have to hire a nutritionist to do the assessments talk about certain dietary restrictions and some may have rather it be an allergy or a medical condition. More time to go through applications, it would cost thousands of dollars to pay for all of this to be done

I am not completely against banning junk food. But to do it like WIC is ran I doubt that would work and it would cost our country a lot of tax dollars to make it work. And it could become very complicated especially with the number of people who received food stamps compared to the number of people who received WIC.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2017 at 11:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 11:58 PM
5 moms liked this

It doesn't have to be that complex.

Just no candy, soda, cakes, and so on.  The SNAP people already know what everyone is buying - everything has a bar code.  The data is there.  It wouldn't be that hard.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 14, 2017 at 12:00 AM
As I said I am OK with the no junk food but some think it should be ran like WIC.

Quoting Not_A_Native:

Just no candy, soda, cakes, and so on.  The SNAP people already know what everyone is buying - everything has a bar code.  The data is there.  It wouldn't be that hard.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2017 at 12:00 AM
4 moms liked this

If it would cost too much to run the food stamp program effectively, there are too many people on it and online applications and phone interviews need to stop.  It's hard to make sure an applicant should even be on FS when no one is truly verifying the applications. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 14, 2017 at 12:03 AM
They switched everything to online and phone here over 10 yrs ago they did away the offices just a few small offices that has phone and computer for people who don't own a phone or a computer. Everything is mailed in, from BC , SSC, income verification, banks statement, identification, shot records etc.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

If it would cost too much to run the food stamp program effectively, there are too many people on it and online applications and phone interviews need to stop.  It's hard to make sure an applicant should even be on FS when no one is truly verifying the applications. 

MrsBieg
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2017 at 12:05 AM
13 moms liked this
I think it should be run like long ago...gov't cheese style. If you want to feed people, you give them food...not money.
SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on Jan. 14, 2017 at 12:07 AM
7 moms liked this

The problem is the label "junk food". To some people junk food includes things like Hamburger Helper and Manwich. To others, it is just cnady and chips. How do they decide which it is going to be? 

I don't have a problem with someone on food stamps buying some ice cream and cookies as long as they are buying real food to go along with it. Yes, whether you (general) like it or not, sometimes the only things people can buy is Ramen noodles and Hamburger Helper. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 14, 2017 at 12:07 AM
Like commodities?

Quoting MrsBieg: I think it should be run like long ago...gov't cheese style. If you want to feed people, you give them food...not money.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 14, 2017 at 12:09 AM
I agree. When I think about junk food I think of candy, chips, soda, cookies etc. Then stuff like cakes would cake mix be allowed so someone could make their child a birthday cake

Quoting SpiritedWitch:

The problem is the label "junk food". To some people junk food includes things like Hamburger Helper and Manwich. To others, it is just cnady and chips. How do they decide which it is going to be? 

I don't have a problem with someone on food stamps buying some ice cream and cookies as long as they are buying real food to go along with it. Yes, whether you (general) like it or not, sometimes the only things people can buy is Ramen noodles and Hamburger Helper. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 14, 2017 at 12:13 AM

no they dont know what everyone is buying, they dont get a list of everything, they only know how much they spend and where they spend the money

Quoting Not_A_Native:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 14, 2017 at 12:14 AM
3 moms liked this
I think they should be able to buy fruits, vegetables, milk, bread and a few other staples. It should be as unpleasant as possible for people to be on public assistance.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)