Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So I'm screwed

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 100 Replies
I have multiple health issues, one of which requires surgery relatively soon.

My divorce was finalized about a week ago so I no longer have insurance as of next month. I do work but my job doesn't offer insurance. I can't change jobs at this point becauae of my health issues - what I can do is very limited and I can't work full time. My body won't tolerate it. I've tried and I ended up in so much pain after a couple of weeks I could barely get out of bed. I struggle to maintain my part time position.

My boyfriend cant add me to his insurance until next January 1 but it will cost an extra $360 a month on top of what he is already paying for himself and his kids. If we were to get married, he could add me right away for nothing - or a small amount because he already pays the family rate...But I don't want to get married just for insurance.

I don't qualify for Medicaid because my kids are already insured through their father and because of that and my boyfriend's income, we make too much as a household.

So I guess I'm screwed. I'm so frustrated and worried right now. Without medical care my issues are bound to just keep getting worse and I could very well end up in a wheelchair.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2017 at 8:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 8:04 AM
If you are highly limited on working why haven't you tried for disability so you can get insurance that way?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2017 at 8:06 AM
Because I have only worked a limited mount in my life so I would only qualify for SSI and that is only a small amount a month - not nearly enough for our needs as a family.

Quoting Anonymous 2: If you are highly limited on working why haven't you tried for disability so you can get insurance that way?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 8:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Marry for the insurance.
BCauseImAwesome
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 8:07 AM
Why does your boyfriends income have anything to do with it? Apply for medicaid as a single person, I find it hard to believe you wouldn't get it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 8:08 AM
Yep, this is what I was thinking.

Quoting Anonymous 3: Marry for the insurance.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2017 at 8:08 AM
Because I only pay a limited amount of bills and he basically supports me so legally his income counts.

Quoting BCauseImAwesome: Why does your boyfriends income have anything to do with it? Apply for medicaid as a single person, I find it hard to believe you wouldn't get it.
Handsup4
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 8:09 AM
I'd marry for the insurance. People get married for crazier reasons than that.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2017 at 8:09 AM
No. That's about as romantic as a bug on my shoe. I just got divorced. I want my next marriage if there is one to be about more than insurance.

Quoting Anonymous 3: Marry for the insurance.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2017 at 8:10 AM
I refuse to marry for convenience sake. I just got out of a marriage that was made for similar reasons. If I ever marry again it will be meaningful. Not for convenience.

Quoting Handsup4: I'd marry for the insurance. People get married for crazier reasons than that.
ceeeeg
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 8:10 AM

honey...do you love him, the boyfriend?

then you are not just marrying for insurance

marry him and spare all of you the additional stressors related to your health issues and the financial burdens that are related to them

it is the sensible, responsible adult thing to do for all concerned

Owner-Caretakers of At-Risk Teens...a safe space to find support and input among those who support/advocate for kids in crisis

http://www.cafemom.com/group/123248

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)