Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you say?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 37 Replies
So my adult daughter lives with her girlfriend. They are struggling. She lost her seasonal job and just used her last paycheck to pay the utilities. So her girlfriends stepmom got her a job at a motel, part front desk and part cleaning the rooms for $9 an hour. Only she (gf's stepmom) found a dead body in one of the rooms and now my dd isn't sure she wants to work there. Drug overdose. Honestly it's not the worst motel in town but there are a lot of people living there from week to week even though it's not actually an extended living motel.

I was noncommittal. I told her that I didn't want her to be unsafe but that she needed to find a job somewhere. What would you have said?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2017 at 8:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MixedCooke
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 8:39 AM
1 mom liked this
A dead body can be found at any work setting and not to use that as an excuse to not work there. Multiple people have killed themselves where I work so as long as my paychecks keep coming, so will I.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 8:41 AM
I would be more concerned about the $9 am hour part. But she's an adult. Honestly all I'd say was that if she's happy and feels like it's a good fit and would be enough to support her lifestyle, that a job is a job.
dragonborn
by Wonderstruck on Jan. 18, 2017 at 8:42 AM
What's wrong with $9 an hour?

Quoting Anonymous 2: I would be more concerned about the $9 am hour part. But she's an adult. Honestly all I'd say was that if she's happy and feels like it's a good fit and would be enough to support her lifestyle, that a job is a job.
dragonborn
by Wonderstruck on Jan. 18, 2017 at 8:43 AM
1 mom liked this
I would work there anyway. A dead body can be found anywhere. I read a news article the other day about one found in a store. Wouldn't stop me from getting a job that I desperately need.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 8:43 AM
1 mom liked this

People have died at my work and I'm in a factory
people die all the time in every setting imaginable

She needs the job....tell her to work and keep looking while she works

mommytoeandb
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 8:45 AM
Keep the job until you find something else.
GloryDaze
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 8:45 AM
2 moms liked this
Since she's desperate for the income to pay bills I'd say take that job but also continue seeking other employment in every moment of her free time to get out of that dangerous situation ASAP.
I'd also probably buy mace for her incase she needs to use it because if it's a seedy motel, the DEAD bodies are the least to worry about.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 8:45 AM
1 mom liked this
I didn't say anything was "wrong" with it, but that's just over $18,500 a year before taxes if it's full time. Obviously I don't know all the details of her life, but for many people in many places, that wouldn't be enough to support themselves. That's all.

Quoting dragonborn: What's wrong with $9 an hour?

Quoting Anonymous 2: I would be more concerned about the $9 am hour part. But she's an adult. Honestly all I'd say was that if she's happy and feels like it's a good fit and would be enough to support her lifestyle, that a job is a job.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 8:47 AM

I would tell her to take the work but keep looking for work elsewhere. If she finds someone who she believes is dead she can go and tell the boss and the boss can figure out if the person is dead and handle moving them out.

dragonborn
by Wonderstruck on Jan. 18, 2017 at 8:48 AM
It just depends on the cost of living in their area. Here, that would be a fine job for a young woman, especially since she's splitting with her girlfriend (I'm just assuming they're splitting cuz that's what's fair.)

Quoting Anonymous 2: I didn't say anything was "wrong" with it, but that's just over $18,500 a year before taxes if it's full time. Obviously I don't know all the details of her life, but for many people in many places, that wouldn't be enough to support themselves. That's all.

Quoting dragonborn: What's wrong with $9 an hour?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)