Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sorry DD but you are the one who f***ed up, you are just going to have to deal with it!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 79 Replies

DD 18 just started her 2nd semester at college this week. She called me today in tears because she got dropped from one of her most important classes yesterday. I asked what happened. I guess she got lost on the new campus (there are two campuses and she used to go to the other one) and ended up being about 10 minutes late. By that time the teacher had already taken attendance and given her to someone on the waitllist. 

She was really upset. She said she had even gone to scout out where her classes were but many of the buildings look the same and she was confused. 

I told her that was a tough lesson to learn but to just focus on her other classes and dont let it ruin a whole semester. 

She then went on to say she thought she should meet with the department head and demand that the teacher let her back in. I told her that wasnt a good idea. She was late, that isnt her teachers fault. She is the one who fucked up and she needs to just deal with the consequences. I am pretty surprised she would even come up with that idea because she has never acted that entitled before. She knew that college has strict rules and she had no problem following them last semester. The syllabus is posted before hand and she should have read it and understood it and taken the extra effort to make sure she was on time. 

I mean, I love my daughter and on one hand I think it would be great if she got into the class but she is an adult and she should know that her actions have consequences. 

At this point if she cant take this class over the summer she is going to be pushing graduation back by half a semester but that isnt the end of the world.  She said it just isnt fair and I agree that those are some strict rules, but life isnt fair. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2017 at 9:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 9:06 AM
I agree with your dd. They should have given her more than 10 min before dropping her.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2017 at 9:07 AM

I agree that he should have given more than 10 minutes but rules are rules. He is able to run his classroom how he pleases. Many teachers have the same rules as he does at her school 

Quoting Anonymous 2: I agree with your dd. They should have given her more than 10 min before dropping her.

dedhed
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Good for you for trying to teach her a lesson.

I have never heard of such a thing though, after 10 min. That seems to be a bit extreme.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2017 at 9:09 AM

I agree it is extreme but many professors have extreme rules. It sucks for DD but I just dont see how her trying to fight it is going to get her anywhere. 

Quoting dedhed:

Good for you for trying to teach her a lesson.

I have never heard of such a thing though, after 10 min. That seems to be a bit extreme.

crochetnewb
by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 9:09 AM

I agree with you, life isn't fair.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 9:09 AM
5 moms liked this
This shit about the lost college student getting dumped from an important class is done at the beginning of every semester.
AnonMomof3
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 9:10 AM
2 moms liked this
This exact post has been numerous times before.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2017 at 9:10 AM

I am sure this is a somewhat common problem.

Quoting Anonymous 3: This shit about the lost college student getting dumped from an important class is done at the beginning of every semester.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2017 at 9:11 AM
2 moms liked this

Well new classes start 3 times a year and it isnt like DD is the only person who is ever late. 

Quoting AnonMomof3: This exact post has been numerous times before.

Erika_C
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 9:11 AM

I had a prof who would lock the door after she walked in at the start of class the whole first two weeks. If you weren't there, you weren't getting in. It was a class that a lot of people needed so she'd just move down the list. I don't think anyone who asked to be allowed back in ever got the approval. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)