• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I hate when people make comments to my dd about her weight

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 26 Replies
My dd is 8.5 and I'm the growth charts has always been on the 40th percentile for fight and 15th for weight, so she has always been mostly bones and skin.

Lately with excercise she is not looking that skinny, and it's mostly muscle wich is perfect. I never say anything to her about weight and always talk about eating healthy.

She also notices when people are overweight and skinny and we always tell her that size is not what matters but being healthy because skinny people can be unhealthy too so eating right is the way to go for health.

Well, some people I know that don't see her hat often lately have been making comments to her about putting on weight.

The most recent one was her best friend's mom last Monday told her "you look like you have fattened up", given, English is not her first language and I know she meant well, but c'mon people! Stop making remarks about a kid's weight.

I'm the past dd has made comments of being fat, I guess other kids from school learn from their moms so we always have th line of communication open but she worries about getting fat.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2017 at 9:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 9:16 AM
I don't understand people who say stuff like that to kids. Personally, I'd say it right to them.
Handsup4
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Unfortunately, our society is obsessed with weight. Just keep giving her good advice and she'll learn to ignore stupid comments.
Ryder2420
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this
I hate when people comment on a childs weight in front of them. Whether the child is too big or too small, there is no need to give them a complex about it so young in life.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2017 at 9:22 AM
Huh?

Quoting Anonymous 2: I don't understand people who say stuff like that to kids. Personally, I'd say it right to them.
coala
by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 9:23 AM

My DD is 3rd percentile for height and 1st for weight.  She is short and thin.  She is trying to get "fat" because she can turn it into muscle.  Her little body can only do so much.  She is now up to a whopping 44 lbs.  She does her best.  She is an athlete and being small and thin puts her at a slight disadvantage over the other girls her age...they are twice her size.

VegetaPrincess
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 9:24 AM
1 mom liked this

If English isn't the woman's first language, it could be a cultural difference. There are some cultures where weight is talked about very openly and it's not a taboo subject like it is in our culture. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 9:26 AM
I don't understand this either. And I've gotten into it with my mil about my one ds. My older ds is skinny like his dad, but my TWO YEAR OLD has a little chunk going on. She would always say something to him about being fat (he isn't fat) he eats very healthy and is very active and his pedi isn't concerned.

I finally told her that if she was overly concerned about ANY of my kids weight she needed to address me or dh about it but she was NEVER to tell any of our kids they needed to lose OR gain weight.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 9:26 AM
Tighten up her diet a bit and encourage more water. She'll thin out and be fit!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 9:27 AM
Lol *back* to them. Sorry.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Huh?

Quoting Anonymous 2: I don't understand people who say stuff like that to kids. Personally, I'd say it right to them.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 9:27 AM
She's not fat, read the post again

Quoting Anonymous 4: Tighten up her diet a bit and encourage more water. She'll thin out and be fit!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)