Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My roomate asked to borrow money last night

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 9:54 AM
  • 7 Replies

It has been years since anyone has asked to borrow money from me. She said she felt horrible having to ask but she is desperate. She asked to borrow $80 until next Thur. I honestly only have about $60 on me until payday but I loaned her it and said if she needed $20 more bucks on Friday I will loan her it but she needs to pay her rent to me on the 3rd as usual. She gets social security since she is retired-she is 69 years old. She also works as an instructor part time at a trade school.  Really nice lady my kids love her. I rent her my downstairs master bedroom so she has alot of privacy. The kids and I are upstairs. I give her full house priveledges. I think she has a good gig and I dont expect to have to loan a woman her age money. She has lived with me since end of July and we really have not had any hiccups.

So she gets paid by her school next Thur so she promises me she will pay me then and then when her SS comes on the 3rd she will pay her rent. She has been nice and generous to me and my kids so I am hoping she follows through.

She does smoke though which annoys me because cigs are expensive so I told her last night i would really like to see her quit and she says she has cut back and she is down to 1/2 pack per day. She is also a diabetic on insulin. She likes to downplay the effects of smoking. She has had a cough going on now for 4 months. I am not going to argue with her about it but it silly to smoke when you are that old, a diabetic, and broke. Her car is also leaking something so I told her she needs to put some cardboard underneath it so she did. I am a little annoyed her car has stained my garage. But all in all she has been a pleasant roommate.

She is eventually going to move to CA to be with her daughter but it is so expensive where her daughter is I do not know how she will ever afford it. When she moved in she told me her goal was to be in CA by the end of last year so that did not happen. So if this woman ever does move out I am going to make sure my next roomie

1) is not a smoker. Even outside. This woman smells like smoke all the time and its annoying and I;m allergic to it.  

2) not on fixed income must work outside the home full time. Right now she only works a few hours a week if that outside the home. She does not like to drive at night so she is home all the time she also has the house to herself all day from 630am to 5 so I expect her to meet her financial obligations. I also cannot turn the a/c up or heat down while I am gone because she is there which is why I am not moving on her rent any more because I include all utilities in it. I think I am being very reasonable.

Anyways rant over!

by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 9:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 9:58 AM

Sounds reasonable.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this
I'd never in a million years loan or give money to a smoker. I'm not subsidizing your habit so you can either use the money to buy your habit or else go buy necessities because you blew too much of your own money on smoking instead of necessities.

You're nicer than me and I hope she TRULY realizes how good she's got it right now.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 10:04 AM
Lmfao

You told her , you would like to see her quit.

She's certainly getting to know who you are.
Oliviasmom72
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 10:16 AM

I agree, next time this comes up I am going to flat out tell her I am not subsidizing her smoking and would be a little sympathetic if she didnt have such an unhealthy expensive habit.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I'd never in a million years loan or give money to a smoker. I'm not subsidizing your habit so you can either use the money to buy your habit or else go buy necessities because you blew too much of your own money on smoking instead of necessities. You're nicer than me and I hope she TRULY realizes how good she's got it right now.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 10:18 AM
Good. If she doesn't like it, she can find another room to rent.

Quoting Oliviasmom72:

I agree, next time this comes up I am going to flat out tell her I am not subsidizing her smoking and would be a little sympathetic if she didnt have such an unhealthy expensive habit.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I'd never in a million years loan or give money to a smoker. I'm not subsidizing your habit so you can either use the money to buy your habit or else go buy necessities because you blew too much of your own money on smoking instead of necessities.

You're nicer than me and I hope she TRULY realizes how good she's got it right now.

BeAuTiFuL.BLiSs
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 10:28 AM
Hmmm. I kinda get the feeling you don't want her there anymore. Haha. :)

Your post in the beginning was nice and never had any issues with her. And slowly turned into the impression you really can't stand her being there. If her smoking is an issue for you, you should have found that out before agreeing to rent to her.

I definitely can understand your frustration with not wanting to fund someone's habit. But if this is the first time she's ever asked for money and has always paid you what she's supposed to with no issue in the past. Why do you seem to have such hard feelings now?

Oliviasmom72
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 11:05 AM

I am overall a little annoyed with the smoking. I did know about it and really thought it wouldnt be a big deal but she smells smokey. It does annoy me that she tries to renogiate what she pays me, yet smokes.

So I did renogiate and work with her a little due to the fact its winter and I do not have a super expensive electric bill. I told her though this was through March only, and once the A/C is being used once it gets over a certain amount she needs to pay that. I see no reason to work with her finances when she blows money on smokes and I am not going to do it anymore.

Honeastly I shouldnt have loaned her the  money but she kinda put me in an awkward spot. I will not do it anymore.

I also wish she worked outside the house more....but oh well. I will let her stay for a few more months and if she decides she doesnt want to pay what the room and situation is worth, she will have to move.

I overall do like her and so do my kids, but I do not like her financial situation or her lifestyle/lack of working much outside the home.

Quoting BeAuTiFuL.BLiSs: Hmmm. I kinda get the feeling you don't want her there anymore. Haha. :) Your post in the beginning was nice and never had any issues with her. And slowly turned into the impression you really can't stand her being there. If her smoking is an issue for you, you should have found that out before agreeing to rent to her. I definitely can understand your frustration with not wanting to fund someone's habit. But if this is the first time she's ever asked for money and has always paid you what she's supposed to with no issue in the past. Why do you seem to have such hard feelings now?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)