• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ADD without hyperactivity

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 5 Replies

I was told by a neuropsychologist, who oberserved my son for an hour in a clinical setting, that he should be evaluated for ADD.    I've always known he had difficulty focusing.  It's pretty obvious to me at home and other settings, however his teachers have never mentioned it as an issue.  According to them, he follows instructions and participates satisfactorily during class.  That's every teacher he's ever had since he was 4.  He's now 8.   Would you have your son evaluated based on her recommendation, or let it be since he is doing fine in school?  The psychologist said that teachers aren't likely to point out a concentration issue unless it's disruptive to her or the class.  Meanwhile, the child isn't learning to their full potential in the same way the hyperactive child isn't..  If your child has been diagnosed and treated for this, how did it work out?  Did you see an improvement, and what was the treatment?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2017 at 10:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
ceeeeg
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 10:39 AM

i have this, my daughter has it and so does my granddaughter

go ahead and have him evaluated....just because he is not having issues now, does not mean he will not in the future...

i would not look to medicate him over it, since it is clearly not causing major issues at this point, but with a firm diagnosis, if he does have issues in the future, you are on track to work with the school...and make them work for/with him...should he need that later...

Owner-Caretakers of At-Risk Teens...a safe space to find support and input among those who support/advocate for kids in crisis

http://www.cafemom.com/group/123248

BeAuTiFuL.BLiSs
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 10:47 AM
I think of he's already been observed by a neuropsychologist, you have to have concerns about some issues right?

It certainly wouldn't hurt to at least have him evaulated. It may not be causing any major issues with school now, but the older he gets it can.

Good luck!
EmilyH87
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 10:48 AM
Yes because this was me as a kid. I always did pretty well in school. I am as far from hyperactive as you can get, but I had a tendency to space out. Big time. It didn't really start causing a problem until my freshman year of high school. My doctor called it Silent ADD (I'm not sure if that was just her term for it or legit medical termonology). Once they diagnosed it and I was put on Concerta the difference probably saved my grades that year. Even if you don't choose to medicate now, it could get to a point where it's something you need to consider, and with a diagnosis you'll have a good jumping off point already.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 10:52 AM
Our doctor explained ADD can be on a spectrum of intensity . For our son is academics were not really effected till middle school . An easy example is when kids without ADD would make an outline to help prep for a test it would be well an outline . For our son it would be a book . He was not able to focus enough for a simple outline to provide prompts.
Once he was on meds , Concerta , he got value for his time . He still had to study , do homework etc but in a more reasonable amount of time .
He is a junior in college , he sees his doc in the summer and at winter break . He has told me people have offered to buy his meds but for him life is better with his meds so he keeps them for himself .
It makes a huge difference . His jr year in high school he rushed off to school the morning of his PSAT and forgot his meds . He did ok , he had been expected to be at least a semi finalist . Took his meds the morning of his SAT and did amazing. We weren't upset , nothing to be done but I say this to show what a difference in his focus the meds make .
For us we waited till his lack of focus began to effect his academics . We didn't wait till he was in a hole but we noticed he was beginning to struggle .
We have four children , two have ADD and two do not .
Good luck .
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 11:03 AM

I would have the evaluation to see if he meets for an ADD diagnosis, especially because it could become a bigger challenge as he gets older and the schoolwork gets harder. It doesn't mean he needs meds or anything else needs to change if he is doing well for now. It's good to have a baseline evaluation too because he may just have traits, but the evaluator can identify "areas of difficulty" that may become bigger challenges once he goes through puberty.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)