• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Carpaltunnel help please

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
So i was officially dxed with carpaltunnel. In both arms. Though one is severely worse than the other. I have used night brace on the bad one since oct. That is all they are recommending i do still though. I feel like there is no grtting aroind the surgery.

I cant brush my hair. Cant color or write joirnals likr i used to do. All that stuff hurts so bad. My arm is constantly sorr the entire arm up to my shoukder. Weak fatigurd and sorr like i am carrying aroind weight bags.

So tell me EVERYTHING bout sutgery. Did it work for you. How bad. Whay do i need to try first. Tell me other things that could help. Tell me everything you know persoanlly about carpaltunnel.

These are problems i have had fr many years now. I am 26. I am scared . And also i had an emg merve test. Are those absolutelt conclusivr about carpaltunmel. ? I did it and thry said i have it. So thats that. No way it could be anythinf elsee still?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2017 at 10:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
morgiefae
by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 10:45 AM

FUCK carpal tunnel.

DH had surgery on both arms last year, while it helped the carpal tunnel symptoms. it brought to light other issues with his arms. he is on disability currently.  It is bullshit, his current doctor (new one, lots of drama with the doc that did the surgery) is suggesting golfers/tennis elbow surgeries on both arms now. 

DH is the only person that i have heard of with these issues. but its effected my life so much that it leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2017 at 10:57 AM

POmg sorry to hear. And I am afraid of all that // 

i KNOW without a doubt there are other issues present in my arms. i dont know what. i think maybe arthristis as my grandmother has it so bad her fingers are MANGLED . my mom too. I have alot of probelsm that just do not sound like carpaltunnel. which is why i hoped to find out if those EMG tests are conclusive. like they can tjust say carpaltunnel without PROOF it IS carpaltunnel right /// i know there is more and its driving me crazy, no one will listen to me. and now they arent even pushing surgery even though i KNOW beyond anything I need it. unless there are other options?? splints have not helped me at all..........................................

Quoting morgiefae:

FUCK carpal tunnel.

DH had surgery on both arms last year, while it helped the carpal tunnel symptoms. it brought to light other issues with his arms. he is on disability currently.  It is bullshit, his current doctor (new one, lots of drama with the doc that did the surgery) is suggesting golfers/tennis elbow surgeries on both arms now. 

DH is the only person that i have heard of with these issues. but its effected my life so much that it leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2017 at 11:09 AM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 11:13 AM
Don't know. I have the same issue in both arms. As I type this I can hear my wrist making noise. It sucks. Not sure about the surgery. Would like to know also.
JDMlover
by Summer&Lucille on Jan. 18, 2017 at 11:30 AM

Fil had the surgery on both arms and it really helped him, but I dont think you can just jump into surgery. I have tendonitis in my left hand, it causes my whole wrist to swell up an I lose motion and my thumb is almost useless when it flairs up. I wear a brace that goes up to my elbow, it helps keep my arm immobile. Heat and cold help as well

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 11:39 AM
My hands were like yours before my surgery. It helped for a few months but now my hands are completely numb, can't lift anything, can't write anything, basically can't use my hands at all. I think they didn't do the surgery right. What's going on with my hands now is 100 times worse than before the surgery.
g33k
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 11:40 AM

DO NOT DO SURGERY.  acupucnture is the way to go.  it takes about 6 treatments.

i had wicked awful carpal tunnel that plagued me for years...couldn't do a damn thing. that stupid brace thing didn't help either.  it would keep me p at night or wake me up and it was so painful. it was so bad that it travelled up my arm and gave me tennis elbow and shoulder pain!

acupuncture is what saved me. i went to 3 doctors who referred me to surgeons and i didn't want to do that...once you cut it's not a guarantee that it won't come back.

since i did acu, it hasn't come back - EVER.  

one other thing, i injured my wrist (tendon/nerve) during sparring and muay thai training and it hurt me for nearly a year...i didn't do acu because i was always in the gym so i dedicated 6 weeks to hard core acu rehab and guess what? NO MORE INJURY OR PAIN.

see if your medical covers acu...seriously, it's the only treatment i seek whenever i'm having issues with pain, injury etc.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 11:53 AM

The EMG and NCS studies will show identify nerve and muscle impairment in specific nerves and muscles and are conclusive when there are findings. If if it showing poor conductivity or weakness in the medial nerve, it's due to a compression issue with that nerve.  The studies can also help identify where the nerve is compressed and damaged.  Rest, magnesium supplements, and physical therapy can work wonders if it is possible for you to cut out the main activities that are exacerbating it.   Thre are nerve glides specifically for the medical nerve that the physicial therapist can give you to help reduce the risk of compression, as well as stretching and strengthening for the nerve and muscles around the nerve. 

Quoting Anonymous 1:

i KNOW without a doubt there are other issues present in my arms. i dont know what. i think maybe arthristis as my grandmother has it so bad her fingers are MANGLED . my mom too. I have alot of probelsm that just do not sound like carpaltunnel. which is why i hoped to find out if those EMG tests are conclusive. like they can tjust say carpaltunnel without PROOF it IS carpaltunnel right /// i know there is more and its driving me crazy, no one will listen to me. and now they arent even pushing surgery even though i KNOW beyond anything I need it. unless there are other options?? splints have not helped me at all..........................................

Quoting morgiefae:

FUCK carpal tunnel.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2017 at 12:13 PM
But i cant cut the stuff out. Let me tell u the daily things that are affecting me most.

Writing and coloring. I used to love coloring. Writing is my thing.i no longer can do these things and have given up on them completely.

I been single for 7 years. I use my hand to grt off DAILY. i suppose a way around is investiy in a vibe .

Bruushing my hair. Very long. Needs to be done.

Peeling potatoes. I just dont now. Hurts the worst of thr worst to do.

Using laptop and mouse. This past year i gave ut up because of pain and i finally got a good phone. But i spend my entire life on comp. Maybe its better i do not but its my life. I feel empty without it. There were times i forced away frm it for weeks because my hand was so much pain and i used my left. It didnt work.

Its just so much crap. Its my entire life thst affects my hand.

Also. Im literslyl feeling seveer cramping in my pinkie. Everything i read on carpultunnel says pinkie is completely unnaffected. I dont get it. Now my hand hurts from typing so much.

Quoting Anonymous 4:

The EMG and NCS studies will show identify nerve and muscle impairment in specific nerves and muscles and are conclusive when there are findings. If if it showing poor conductivity or weakness in the medial nerve, it's due to a compression issue with that nerve.  The studies can also help identify where the nerve is compressed and damaged.  Rest, magnesium supplements, and physical therapy can work wonders if it is possible for you to cut out the main activities that are exacerbating it.   Thre are nerve glides specifically for the medical nerve that the physicial therapist can give you to help reduce the risk of compression, as well as stretching and strengthening for the nerve and muscles around the nerve. 

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting morgiefae:

FUCK carpal tunnel.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2017 at 12:15 PM
My entire arm is affected also. Upper and lower arm EXTREME fatigue. Crampy wrists and ALL fingers and i have so much shoulder and neck pain but i associatr that with my bad back pains and sleeping wrong, etc. I just am not comfortsble. Ever.

Quoting g33k:

DO NOT DO SURGERY.  acupucnture is the way to go.  it takes about 6 treatments.

i had wicked awful carpal tunnel that plagued me for years...couldn't do a damn thing. that stupid brace thing didn't help either.  it would keep me p at night or wake me up and it was so painful. it was so bad that it travelled up my arm and gave me tennis elbow and shoulder pain!

acupuncture is what saved me. i went to 3 doctors who referred me to surgeons and i didn't want to do that...once you cut it's not a guarantee that it won't come back.

since i did acu, it hasn't come back - EVER.  

one other thing, i injured my wrist (tendon/nerve) during sparring and muay thai training and it hurt me for nearly a year...i didn't do acu because i was always in the gym so i dedicated 6 weeks to hard core acu rehab and guess what? NO MORE INJURY OR PAIN.

see if your medical covers acu...seriously, it's the only treatment i seek whenever i'm having issues with pain, injury etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)