Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who gets the money?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 32 Replies
About 6 months ago I sold one of our cars because we needed money to pay bills. I sold it to my dad under the agreement that I could buy it back when I had the funds. More like a long term loan with collateral.

The car was mine from age 16. But after DH and I got married we bought me a new (to us) SUV as a family vehicle and DH drove the old one until we bought another car, which became the family vehicle and dh took over the SUV. We have had these two cars for 2 years and the original vehicle wasn't driven often.

Is this too confusing?

Okay so I sell my car to pay some bills. Mostly to pay off a debt for SD so she can go on an end of year trip to DC. But also to catch up on other bills because I lost my job and I felt it was my fault we were back sliding.

Well this made dh mad. Even though we discussed it. He said he was against selling it but that he left it up to me. I sold it and he felt very underminded and that I had chosen my fathers wants over his.

Anyway... the car was in an accident and totaled. We are getting a small sum of money because of insurance. My dad is insisting we keep the money.

Dh and i are splitting up. Dh saya the money ought to go to him so he can get an apartment and a car, simce technically i own both of our cars. Because i have been out of work for 6 months. And he has supported me completely for 3. He feela i owe him for that. I feel like he has no right to this money. And that its his job to support me as my husband. Not anymore... but for the time he has before we chose divorce.

Who do you think gets the money? I offered to split it but even that i think is too generous. My lawyer advises me that since its a "gift" from my dad its mine legally.

Thoughts?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2017 at 2:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 2:23 PM
In many states any money coming in is split 50/50
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 2:25 PM

technically it is yours. so you really don't have to give him any. however from just going off this post- i would give him some

Amy_M
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 2:26 PM

I would say 50/50 split, but if your lawyer says its yours, then keep it.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 2:27 PM
1 mom liked this
It was yours before the marriage, so you.
Elyce225
by Emerald Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 2:28 PM

It's yours and don't give him a penny of it.
Noneya73
by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 2:29 PM
You get the money the car was yours before you got married.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 2:29 PM

Keep it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2017 at 2:29 PM
I offered him half.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

technically it is yours. so you really don't have to give him any. however from just going off this post- i would give him some

Seagodess
by Emerald Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 2:30 PM
I would say split it 50/50.
mojogirl
by Ouiser Boudreaux on Jan. 18, 2017 at 2:31 PM
1 mom liked this

i would insist my dad keep it. problem solved.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)