Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wwyd? Morality question

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 108 Replies
1 mom liked this
You've just been informed that your grandmother has passed away. You are not particularly close to her and haven't seen her in years so you are not overly distraught by her passing. At her request there will be an hour long memorial service at a funeral home but that's it. You are informed if her passing on Friday morning and the memorial is to be held Sunday morning

Your employer offers 4 paid bereavement days for the death of a grandparent. You actually do not require any of the days as the memorial is to be held on the weekend.

Do you take the time because you can and do what every you like with your 4 free days (like go on vacation) or do you decline it because it's not really needed and you would feel guilty taking advantage
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2017 at 2:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 2:45 PM
I think it depends on how your parent would respond to you not being there. She is dead, and wouldn't know if you were there or not. Is the living that we need to be concerned about.

My grandmother died at 104. I knew that she was in good health, but how long can somebody 104 live? I made a point of visiting her in November, she passed away in January. I did not attend the funeral. But I spoke to my father about it and made sure he was OK since it was his mother.
britney678
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 2:46 PM
If I wanted to help my mom or my other grandparent, I might take a day. Otherwise, I wouldn't take any.
Molz09
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 2:46 PM
6 moms liked this
I would take it and use it to spend time with my parents as they mourn.

I don't give a shit about my grandpa. But I know my mom will be heartbroken when he passes, so I'd want to be there for her.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 2:47 PM
3 moms liked this
Would your employer frown on you galvanting around on vacation during your "bereavement"? That's the answer to your question. Would you be willing to tell your boss that the service was on the weekend and what you were doing on the days off? If you would be, then it's ok. If you'd be uncomfortable doing that, then you don't do it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 2:48 PM

No, I wouldn't take the time.  To me that feels pretty decietful and I'd be scared of karma biting me back.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 2:49 PM
It would depend on if my mom needed me or not.
Pink.Sunshine
by Petty Princess on Jan. 18, 2017 at 2:49 PM

I'd take it and support my other family members.

SweetLoveSong
by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 2:49 PM
Take the 4 days off with pay.
PPCLC
by AZ Lizard on Jan. 18, 2017 at 2:49 PM

Myself, I'd spend at least one to two of those days spending time with the family that have just lost her and actually do care about her loss.

I would feel a little guilty for taking that time from work when I wasn't using it for what it's intended otherwise.

jws120567
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 2:50 PM
6 moms liked this

Save the bereavement days in case, Gods forbid, another loved one passes on this year.  The wake/funeral is only one day, I wouldn't take advantage.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)