• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you have a CPA.. Or an accountant.. Any kind of business degree ..

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 5 Replies
Deciding what to go to school for and looking back I always played teacher growing up and always wanted to be one- but everyone I talk to tells me to not go into the field. So then I was thinking how I took accounting in high school and a college class and I enjoyed it so now I'm researching that!

If your an accountant what kind of degree do you have? Bachelors? Masters? Do you have your CPA? What kind of days/ hours do you work? What kind of income?

A friend I spoke with before is a CPA and she worked a lot of hours, I have 4 kids and I need to be around for them.. I don't want to be gone working and missing a lot
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2017 at 3:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 3:51 PM

So this may not help very much, but I work in the business office as an accoutant for our schools administration. I only have a certificate in payroll accounting and a certificate in bookkeeping, not an actual degree. But the positions in the business office are classified, not certified, so some of the other ladies have no degree at all. I make about $17 an hour. I work from 8 to 4:30. It works out for us because I get to put my daughter on the bus before leaving for work, she just has to stay after school for a little bit before I get off work. Unfortunatly, even though I work for the school, I dont get off on snow days and spring break, fall break, etc. I did get a Christmas break though : ) Good Luck!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 3:59 PM
I dont but my sister does.

She had a BA. She is still debating her masters. She does not have her cpa because you have to have a masters i think. But she already knows she doesnt want to be a CPA.

Shes an accountant for a small office. Her hours are fantastic and she lucked out. She works 9-5 and has tons of time off.

She started at 52 i believe.

She got really lucky with this job.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 4:07 PM

DH just finished his bachelor's degree in Accounting. He has enough credits to take the CPA exam but hasn't yet. 

He does financial accounting (fund reporting) for a large investment-type company. His normal hours are 45-50 hours a week, but during busy times (2 weeks at the end of each quarter, and the entire month of April) he works much more. His starting salary was higher than mine after I finished my PhD. 

Work/life balance very much depends on where you work afterwards. DH's is considered pretty good, especially for the salary. Anyone I know who went into public accounting (Big 4) works minimum 60 hours/week.  I'm sure there are places where you can find a standard 40 hour/week job. Not sure what the pay would be though.

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 4:12 PM
To get a CPA you have to have a degree in accounting, 2 years experience in public accounting, and sit for 5 extremely difficult exams within 18 months. Many jobs where I live want CPAs for $12 an hour. I make more than that keeping books and am changing jobs because the pay keeps going down.

Yes, you have to work a lot of hours. It's not a job for someone with small children. You have hard deadlines set by the IRS and clients don't respect your time enough to not make you do shit last minute. You can expect to work 60+ hours from Jan-Apr but tax season is actually all year.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2017 at 5:13 PM
Bump
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)