Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If your an RN..

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies
What's the pros and cons about your job?
If you could do it all over would you still chose to be an RN?
What advice would you give a mom going into nursing school
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2017 at 3:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 3:46 PM
Bump. I am considering going to nursing school so I'm interested in the responses
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 4:03 PM
Bump. Id like to know i want to go to nursing school.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 4:17 PM
*you're

But here's a bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 4:17 PM
Lol

Quoting Anonymous 4: *you're

But here's a bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 4:20 PM

I'm not but I have a few friends that are quitting. They can't handle it. I assume it takes a special kind of person. I just think it's a shame because they paid so much for schooling. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 4:21 PM
1 mom liked this
1. Nursing school is the hardest thing you will ever do, EVER!
2. Get your BSN immediately, it is almost impossible to get a job without one.
3. You have to be able to give of yourself even after you don't think you have anymore to give. You will need to smile through the tears and know that you are making a difference in someone's life even if they don't realize it.
4. You have to have a passion for patient care if you don't you will burn out super fast.
5. The money is stable and good but not nearly enough for what you do.
6. Nursing is more than a job or a career. Honestly it truly is a calling.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 4:28 PM

I'm almost done with my prerequisites for nursing school.  My best friend has been an RN for a decade and just completed her BS and will be moving on to her MSN this year.  As someone who is going to school full time with a toddler, I suggest researching schools thoroughly.  If you do not have a support structure, take as many of your classes online as you can and plan at least a semester ahead. Once I start the actual nursing classes, I have to be at my school by 6am and stay all day, 5 days per week.  I have it arranged so that I will start during the summer so that my teen can help with the baby.

Utilize the pell grant if you can.  For me at least, it covers all of my tuition, books, and fees.  I took out loans on top of that though because I'm doing 3 semesters per award year, not 2, and pell is only awarded for spring and summer. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2017 at 5:13 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 5:15 PM
Long shifts suck.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 5:18 PM
I have been a RN since 2005. I am thankful for the jobs flexibility. It has been a blessing for my family. However, I wouldn't do it over again. The pay is great. My hours are great now but it took 10years of nights before I got the job I have now. In my area the jobs are slim. I agree with a previous poster on getting a BSN from the start. It's a mentally taxing nearly thankless job. I can't wait to be out of health care. Do some job shadowing before you decide.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)