Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are you a teacher????

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies
What kind of degree do you have? How much did you spend on your education and what kind of income do you earn now?

What grade/subject do you teach?

What are pros and cons about teaching?

If you could do it again, would you still go into teaching?

I heard people say to not go into teaching because a lot of negative BS is going on- do you agree?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2017 at 3:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 4:54 PM

There's an Ask the Teacher post on the Elementary Moms group.  

Pink.Sunshine
by Petty Princess on Jan. 18, 2017 at 4:55 PM

No. It's been my dream for some time. It's hard to leave the money I'm making now. I think it's equivalent or more than a first year teacher :O

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2017 at 5:13 PM
Bump
fostermommy1
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 5:18 PM

I'm a high school Theatre/English teacher.  I currently have a doctorate in Educational Leadership and am looking for a new job.  The reality is that there are a lot of negatives, but there are far many more rewards.  I work with some fantastic kids and have made lifelong friendships with some of alums.  I can give you more specifics if you want.  There are tons of variables to consider.

foltzy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 5:20 PM
I'm a preschool teacher. I have a bachelors. I do not make nearly enough and way less than a district teacher. I love my job but it is not always easy.
Razzle_Dazzle1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 5:33 PM

I have a BA in education. I teach kindergarten, pretty much every subject. I really love teaching. Yes there are headaches but there are headaches with every job. Yes I would do it again if I had the choice. This is my 7th year. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 5:42 PM

Bachelor's in Psychology. Master's in El Ed with Advanced Teaching.

cost.... probably moot now.. that was 30 years ago.

I teach elementary grades.

It was a good decision at the time.. I wouldn't recommend it now. in fact, I talked my oldest out of going on for her degree/certification.

Why? 

She'd need to take on $25,000 in loans just to get her certification, then need to cover the cost of getting her Master's degree.

Starting pay near my is only about $36,000

Our governor is trying his best to effectively eliminate tenure. Our APPR is now going to be tied to our State tests scores, in addition to classroom observations done with an insanely " high level of expectations" rubric. The whole point system is difficult, insane, and makes no sense. It's skewed even further when you have kids "opt out" of their state tests, or.. if you are assigned a class that has little room or hope for improvement, since a 'growth score' is part of the scoring system.

We now have a climate with many many many more parents who 1) blame the teacher first, 2) ask questions later, if at all.

The behavior of kids has deteriorated so much over the last 10 years, especially. Rude, ill-mannered, unfocused, etc, with less support from home. All the time? No, but those of us who have been in the classroom for more than 10 years certainly see it.

For the time and cost it takes to get a degree,.... I'd invest my time and money into something a lot less stressful.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 5:46 PM
My DD taught for 5 years. She wouldn't again and my niece has taught for 4 year's she told me Saturday she's not going to teach any longer! She's hoping to make it till June. She said that the kids are Animals where she teaches at . Petersburg FL. She's teaching 8 grade.
My DD taught, 2,3,7,9, 11,12. She preferred high school children. But instead went back into Law which was what she did for 13 yrs. She's a lawyer and prefers law over teaching. Her college degrees were in law and computer science. Masters and PhD. And Law degree. She went back and took what ever they wanted for her to teach, some classes.. She taught full time and when pregnant she was on Call,filled in worked when she wanted as a Substitute. Now children are older in school so she's back at the law firm, full time.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 5:53 PM
What kind of degree do you have? BA math education

How much did you spend on your education andwhat kind of income do you earn now? Don't remember, but a lot of my federal loans were forgiven after teaching so many years. I ended at $41, 000 salary in 2012 after teaching nine years. Awful compared to other careers.

What grade/subject do you teach? I did HS and then MS math.

What are pros and cons about teaching? Actual teaching was fun. It seemed like 10% of the job, maybe. Public education is a train wreck and parents are awful.

If you could do it again, would you still go into teaching? NO!!

I heard people say to not go into teaching because a lot of negative BS is going on- do you agree? Well, I got out of tteaching and into another career field I love.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 5:56 PM
THIS! OP, please read this!

Quoting Anonymous 4:

Bachelor's in Psychology. Master's in El Ed with Advanced Teaching.

cost.... probably moot now.. that was 30 years ago.

I teach elementary grades.

It was a good decision at the time.. I wouldn't recommend it now. in fact, I talked my oldest out of going on for her degree/certification.

Why? 

She'd need to take on $25,000 in loans just to get her certification, then need to cover the cost of getting her Master's degree.

Starting pay near my is only about $36,000

Our governor is trying his best to effectively eliminate tenure. Our APPR is now going to be tied to our State tests scores, in addition to classroom observations done with an insanely " high level of expectations" rubric. The whole point system is difficult, insane, and makes no sense. It's skewed even further when you have kids "opt out" of their state tests, or.. if you are assigned a class that has little room or hope for improvement, since a 'growth score' is part of the scoring system.

We now have a climate with many many many more parents who 1) blame the teacher first, 2) ask questions later, if at all.

The behavior of kids has deteriorated so much over the last 10 years, especially. Rude, ill-mannered, unfocused, etc, with less support from home. All the time? No, but those of us who have been in the classroom for more than 10 years certainly see it.

For the time and cost it takes to get a degree,.... I'd invest my time and money into something a lot less stressful.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)