Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

legal responsibilty for accurate billing

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 33 Replies
Does a company have a legal responsibility to provide you with an accurate bill?

My gas company sent me my first bill for the year (I just had it turned on for heat last month). Its a new account number. There were three months last year that gas was used but no account was open. So when I got my first bill this year it said I used 612 ccf for the month, but they actually added the other three months into it. There is nothing on the bill that indicates that. The bill shows November 12 - December 11 usage as 612 ccf.

After a long time on the phone with the gas company to figure out what happened, I asked for some kind of paperwork that accurately reflects what the bill is for and then I paid it. The man told me he would send something but it never came. I called again today and the woman said that their system is not set up to generate a bill for when there is no account number open, so she couldn't do it. She said she would talk to a supervisor and call me back tomorrow, but she didn't think it would be possible.

I really need an accurate bill for legal reasons... Doesn't the company have some kind of legal responsibility to accurately bill me? Google doesn't seem to be getting me very far
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2017 at 5:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2017 at 5:40 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 5:52 PM

How can you use a service that doesn't have an open account? Wouldn't it be turned off?
How can a company bill you for something from a year ago?

This all sounds VERY wonky to me....I wouldn't pay for something I had never been billed for.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:00 PM
I already paid it, so that ship has sailed. Its gas - I need to have heat.

It's a long story, but gas was used that was never paid for so it is fair that they want money for it.

But I also need an accurate bill!

Quoting Anonymous 2:

How can you use a service that doesn't have an open account? Wouldn't it be turned off?How can a company bill you for something from a year ago?This all sounds VERY wonky to me....I wouldn't pay for something I had never been billed for.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:03 PM

Well the chances of getting one are slim to none

There was no account open to actually record the charges and you've already paid it...at this point the company isn't going to spend anymore time on it

Quoting Anonymous 1: I already paid it, so that ship has sailed. Its gas - I need to have heat. It's a long story, but gas was used that was never paid for so it is fair that they want money for it. But I also need an accurate bill!
Quoting Anonymous 2:

How can you use a service that doesn't have an open account? Wouldn't it be turned off?How can a company bill you for something from a year ago?This all sounds VERY wonky to me....I wouldn't pay for something I had never been billed for.

PinkButterfly66
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:03 PM

Did you use the gas or the previous tenant?  

Quoting Anonymous 1: I already paid it, so that ship has sailed. Its gas - I need to have heat. It's a long story, but gas was used that was never paid for so it is fair that they want money for it. But I also need an accurate bill!
Quoting Anonymous 2:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:07 PM
Do they not have a legal responsibility to accurately bill me? I truly need proper record of it for legal reasons. On the phone he could tell me how much was used each month. I want a piece of paper from them with that information.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Well the chances of getting one are slim to noneThere was no account open to actually record the charges and you've already paid it...at this point the company isn't going to spend anymore time on it

Quoting Anonymous 1: I already paid it, so that ship has sailed. Its gas - I need to have heat.

It's a long story, but gas was used that was never paid for so it is fair that they want money for it.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:11 PM
Unless it was in the other tenants name, they do not turn on gas without opening an account, unless you turned it on illegally.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:15 PM
None of this applies to my situation.

Do you know anything about the answer to my question?

If not, thanks for the bump!

Quoting Anonymous 3: Unless it was in the other tenants name, they do not turn on gas without opening an account, unless you turned it on illegally.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:20 PM

They did send you a bill
and you paid it
they have no legal requirement past that
you should have told them you wouldn't pay it until you received an itemized bill for the previous usage

Quoting Anonymous 1: Do they not have a legal responsibility to accurately bill me? I truly need proper record of it for legal reasons. On the phone he could tell me how much was used each month. I want a piece of paper from them with that information.
Quoting Anonymous 2:

Well the chances of getting one are slim to noneThere was no account open to actually record the charges and you've already paid it...at this point the company isn't going to spend anymore time on it

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:25 PM
I was promised that before I paid the bill. I didn't actually get it.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

They did send you a billand you paid itthey have no legal requirement past thatyou should have told them you wouldn't pay it until you received an itemized bill for the previous usage

Quoting Anonymous 1: Do they not have a legal responsibility to accurately bill me? I truly need proper record of it for legal reasons. On the phone he could tell me how much was used each month. I want a piece of paper from them with that information.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Quoting Anonymous 1: I already paid it, so that ship has sailed. Its gas - I need to have heat.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)