• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

when to become concerned? child not eating

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies
well. a year or so ago my son 5then 6 yrars old now stopped eating he would eat maybe 3-4 bites at a meal. after seeing a gi dr and a lot of tests we have found he has acid reflux and gastroparesis(paralization and slow moving stomach/digestive system)
hes been on a med past 2 months eating drastically better and gained 2.5lbs in that time.

this week his eating has went back to pre meds and idk how long to give it before starting to worry again. normal kids go through stages and so im wondering how long you all would give your kids before you started worrying about their eating 3 bites a meal and not feeling hungry.
today for lunch he ate a 3oz danimal smoothie and thats it. :(
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:17 PM
Given his medical history, I'd at least call the GI nurse line for advice.
AnonMomof3
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:18 PM
A kid without a GI diagnosis, 24 or so hours. A kiddo with a known Go disorder, a meal or two.
sweetfox3
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:19 PM
Since he has a diagnosed disorder, and not being picky and assuming he is not coming down sick, talk to the doctor asap.
balagan_imma
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:20 PM
He may need a medication adjustment if he's grown a whole lot. Some gerd mess are weight sensitive. It could hurt to cal the gi's office and ask a nurse.
Personally I'd also keep a food log to see if he eats less after certain foods, which may show a flare in the symptoms.
susannah2000
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:22 PM

He has been diagnosed with physical issues, yet you ask strangers online what you should do instead of talking to his DOCTOR? If you need to be told this, you aren't mature enough to be a parent.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:28 PM
i doubt they will be worried since he will show a big gain in weight. i just want to make sure im not over reacting. i see them adjusting meds but nothing major until we can get into see the gi and that appt is already scheduled for the earliest available appt... in feb.

Quoting susannah2000:

He has been diagnosed with physical issues, yet you ask strangers online what you should do instead of talking to his DOCTOR? If you need to be told this, you aren't mature enough to be a parent.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:37 PM
lenashark
by Emerald Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:38 PM
For now work on making sure what he does eat is nutritious and give him time.
cymkare
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:40 PM

Call and ask the doctor. This happens with our oldest. He has severe acid reflux. He's on a feeding tube and whenever it starts acting up he'll start swallowing a lot, drooling a lot and then vomiting after a feeding. 

Lots of acid reflux meds stop working after a while and you'll need to switch to a new one. The body gets used to it. Happens to him every six months or so. 

CafeMom Tickers

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:46 PM
1 mom liked this
thanks. im gonna try adding in a 4th dose(we were told we could before) of the med tomorrow and if no change let the dr know.

Quoting cymkare:

Call and ask the doctor. This happens with our oldest. He has severe acid reflux. He's on a feeding tube and whenever it starts acting up he'll start swallowing a lot, drooling a lot and then vomiting after a feeding. 

Lots of acid reflux meds stop working after a while and you'll need to switch to a new one. The body gets used to it. Happens to him every six months or so. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)