Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Food biases

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 34 Replies
Off of my PB & J post…

Do you believe any of your food biases have affected the way your children view their food choices?

Examples...
Are there any foods you choose not to cook particular foods because you do not like them that your children refuse to try at other peoples homes or restaurants?

Or if your children are older… And out on their own buying their own groceries & making their own meals. Is there something that they make or don't make because of the way you made it?

I'm sure there are other examples but none come to mind at this very second

There were a lot of people on that post pointing out that their kids love PB&J. On that post I did say I was not a fan of peanut butter, I'm wondering if that played into the fact that my kids not eat very much peanut butter. Though I do have it on hand for my teenage son for late night quick snacks.

I know that when I was a kid my mother was a horrible cook, and almost never purchased fresh vegetables. I do think that has played into the fact that I never buy canned or frozen vegetables. And I don't make any of the meals that she made when I was a child. Casseroles, meatloaf, pork chops. I do realize that her cooking skills had an impact on the food that I make for my family.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SommelierMom
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:46 PM
We take no part in the SAD (standard American diet). I believe this has led my kiddo to be the experimental, energetic eater she is.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:48 PM
My children eat healthier and if not healthier, they enjoy delicious recipes with natural (as in not processed) foods.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:50 PM
I cook things that I hate because they like them. They eat things that I don't like a lot.

My 16 year old is talking college and has asked me to teach him to cook certain things and make him a cookbook of nearly everything I cook so he can make it like I do.

Elyce225
by Emerald Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:52 PM

Definitely.

We eat while, natural foods 99% of the time. My children prefer it and when they are out by themselves they will politely refuse processed shit.

The majority of the time if they are out without me I have to pack them their own snacks and meals.
DensHag
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:55 PM
My kids are adults now but I remember when they discovered sushi with their Dad. I can't stand it...but they loved it so it was a Dad thing. I know there's certain stuff they like that I make because they will still ask for me to make those things.

I do know both of my kids are FAR more adventurous eaters than I am! I HATE mayo but I always kept it on hand for my family...even now I have some in case my DD visits and wants a sandwich!

My Mom was a good cook but didn't enjoy it...I always liked to cook and it seems I have passed that on to both of my kids. I'm happy about that!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:56 PM

My DS likes a lot of things I dislike, like fish. I hate even making it but he likes it.

I grew up with a Mom like that who wouldn't buy stuff she disliked. It took me years as an adult to not be picky and try new things.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:58 PM
I don't think I've heard that term. What is the standard American diet?

Quoting SommelierMom: We take no part in the SAD (standard American diet). I believe this has led my kiddo to be the experimental, energetic eater she is.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:58 PM
Because of things you have said or done?

Quoting Anonymous 2: My children eat healthier and if not healthier, they enjoy delicious recipes with natural (as in not processed) foods.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:58 PM
I find myself cooking the meals and ways my mom did quite a bit. But it's generally a good thing. She was a good cook. I also add my own twists and recipes, sometimes a bigger focus on fresh and healthier ingredients. But there are some things that don't get better than moms.
walkerfood
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 7:02 PM

I have always taught my daughter to not trust everyone's cooking. You don't know if they washed their hands, picked a boogie out of their nose or what. I always tried to get my daughter to try different foods. So far, she is 18 and the only food she dislikes is Mayo.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)