• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

UPDATE: SD dropped SS from all his classes!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 189 Replies

Sorry this is a long, i hope I explained well and there is nothing confusing... 

SD 13 and SS18 got in a fight this morning while at their moms house. I guess SS woke up earlier than normal and took a shower which left SD with freezing cold water. That led to her being angry and him telling her he was sorry but that she needed to stop acting like a baby. 

Well the reason he got up earlier was so he could got get a new student ID because he last one expired. He is in his second semester at our local state university. He got to school and they said they couldn't issue him an ID because he wasn't registered as a full time student. (it is an ID/bus pass but you can only get it if you are FT)

He was really confused. He said he was in classes and he went to them all day yesterday with no problem. They showed him that he had dropped his classes that morning on the web. 

He went to talk to student services and they said the same thing. They even looked it up and it was on his home computer (they have a pretty crazy security system and to make things easier you can assign certain devices to skip some of the BS).  He said he wasn't sure what happened and tried to get into all of his classes again. 1 out of the 5 still had open spots so he got in easily. One he got on the wait-list for but 2 of them he is SOL with.  They have a long wait-list and when the class was dropped the first person on the wait-list got the chance to get in instead and they wont kick them out to let him back in. The fifth class is a co-requisite for one of the classes he wont be able to get into so he cant take that one either. 

He went home and tried to see what happened. He was very upset and very pissed off because he thought something must have messed up on the schools end and they just didnt want to fix it. He got to the point where he was almost crying when SD busted out laughing.  SS said that it must have been her that did it. BM asked her and she said yes but only because he had been rude earlier that morning and made her take a cold shower. 

BM asked how she even knew how to do it and SS said that he had showed her some of the college website because she was curious. He never thought anything would come of it. SD said it wasn't hard because there is an add/drop class link right at the top of the first page once you log in

SD did apologize. She said she didn't realize he wouldn't be able to get back into them. She didn't understand the whole wait-list thing. She thought it would stress him out a bit and then things would go back to normal. He explained to her that some of the classes were really important and she messed up the whole semester and possibly his graduation time-line depending on if he can take some of the classes during the summer or not. She said that that is what he gets for being a douche. 

SS got so mad he packed up his stuff and came to our house. He has still been more or less spending half the time here and half the time at his moms like before when he was in high school, he wants to keep doing that but always be in the opposite place from SD. He has to live at home with family for the first 2 years of school so moving out isnt really an option. 

I honestly don't blame him at all. He is an adult and he shouldn't have to be around someone who did something so fucked up. DH agrees with SS also

BM on the other hand says he is being ridiculous. She says that SD didn't know any better and that she apologized. SS said that her apology wasn't enough especially when she ends it with calling him a douche. He said it wasn't okay for her to go into his room, use his laptop without his permission, go on to his student page, and then drop his classes. 

BM says it was wrong but overall it will be a good learning experience for everyone

At this point he isn't sure if he even wants to go back to BMs house but he also doesn't want to be around his sister. 

BM isn't going to punish SD at all, she honestly thinks her apologizing like that was enough. DH is going to ground her as soon as she comes to our house, all her electronics are taken away and he took back his old laptop that he let her use for school at her moms so she doesn't have to use the desktop. 

The whole situation is a total mess. I feel so bad for SS. He never wuold have thought his sister would do something like that. I am honestly pretty shocked she did myself because she is usually so level headed and kind. 

UPDATE: SS met with the financial aid office. He is really pretty screwed. At the point he went in and all this happened it was too late to sign up for other classes to replace the ones he had wanted to take just to get to full time status. He has to pay back a good portion of his pell grant and other financial aid and everything he will get from now on will be under heavy review from the school. Luckily the people who handle his scholarship were a little more understanding. He has to pay the money for the scholarship back but he will be able to get it next semester when he is full time again. He also spent about $500 on books. $200 of that he will be able to use next semester so while it sucks he spent the $200 for now it isnt a total waste. The other $300 went to books that have online access codes that will expire before the next semester. He has been working with the websites to hopefully be able to use those access codes for the next semester but initially they both said no so we dont know where that will go. His total tuition with fees, books, etc was about $7,500. Outside of financial aid and his scholarships he paid about $1,000 out of pocket + $500 for books.

He has to pay about $2,000 back to financial aid to cover what was paid that he wont be using (they do a partial refund for dropping this early in the semester but not all of the way). The scholarship is another $1,000 on top of that he has to pay back. 

So in the end he is out about $4,500. Only $200 of that will be able to be recoped (when he uses his text books next semester). 

I think BM is starting to realize HOW big of a deal it is but she is not the type to admit she is wrong. SS has no idea how he is even going to pay them back. DH and I are going to give as much as we can but they say if it isnt resolved by the next semester he wont be eligible for anything.  I wish we had the money to just do it now so it was a non issue. Of course BM hasnt offered to pay one penny. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:54 PM
10 moms liked this
SD was so far out of line it's ridiculous, she would be in SO MUCH trouble if she was mine. Her ignorance about waiting lists and the like wouldn't get her ass out of trouble with me.
Medic32
by Go PREDS! on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this
What the fuck? That brat did that on purpose. Her Fauxpology would receive massive discipline as would her actions.

She would be banned from all electronics for the remainder of the semester.
WoodenMittens
by Zorak on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:55 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm glad she's being punished at your house. An apology really means nothing in this situation.
Medic32
by Go PREDS! on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:56 PM
3 moms liked this
I don't think she was ignorant about it at all. She did something calculated to hurt him.

Quoting Danesmommy1: SD was so far out of line it's ridiculous, she would be in SO MUCH trouble if she was mine. Her ignorance about waiting lists and the like wouldn't get her ass out of trouble with me.
dandynorm
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:58 PM
2 moms liked this
Wow. She's usually level-headed and kind? Watch out, she may turn out to be one of those teens who completely goes off the rails as those hormones hit. Because that's a pretty extreme jump to do something so cruel over something so petty.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 7:00 PM
If my kid did that she would be in a world of hurt. I don't know how I could make it to SS, but SD would lose everything, and be working as much as possiable to pay back that money.

Is SS on fincical aid or student loans? If he is that can mess things up and make him lose his grants and might have to pay off his loans now.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2017 at 7:02 PM

He is getting financial aid and he got a couple small scholarships. At this point he isnt sure what is going to happen with all that but he made an appointment with the financial aid office for tomorrow. 

Quoting Anonymous 2: If my kid did that she would be in a world of hurt. I don't know how I could make it to SS, but SD would lose everything, and be working as much as possiable to pay back that money. Is SS on fincical aid or student loans? If he is that can mess things up and make him lose his grants and might have to pay off his loans now.

Elyce225
by Emerald Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 7:02 PM
1 mom liked this

That girl would be punished until he is back in all of his classes.

I wouldn't go back if I were him.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2017 at 7:03 PM

Yeah I am really worried about how she is going to be from now on. Like if you told me a year ago that she would do this one day I would have said that there is no way that would happen. It is a big jump and a red flag for what is most likely coming. 

Quoting dandynorm: Wow. She's usually level-headed and kind? Watch out, she may turn out to be one of those teens who completely goes off the rails as those hormones hit. Because that's a pretty extreme jump to do something so cruel over something so petty.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 7:04 PM
1 mom liked this
I hope it works out for him. I feel so bad for him. Too bad he can't bring in sis in there to explain what happenend. It may not help, but it would let her see all the trouble she caused.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

He is getting financial aid and he got a couple small scholarships. At this point he isnt sure what is going to happen with all that but he made an appointment with the financial aid office for tomorrow. 

Quoting Anonymous 2: If my kid did that she would be in a world of hurt. I don't know how I could make it to SS, but SD would lose everything, and be working as much as possiable to pay back that money.

Is SS on fincical aid or student loans? If he is that can mess things up and make him lose his grants and might have to pay off his loans now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)