Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son is only friends with someone because he threatens to kill himself

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 4 Replies
My ds is 18 and has known the guy "Todd" for 10 or so years. They became best friends in high school along with 2 other guys.

They are all still friends but 3 of them secretly don't like "Todd". Ds describes him as "frankly, an asshole. Not only does it come naturally to him, he actually puts in effort to being an asshole." He says he constantly has to comment on anything anyone says or does and often times it's sexist, racist, or just plain malicious.

They really dislike him so I've asked why don't they cut him off. Ds said because he's suicidal. He's depressed.

I feel bad for all of them :(
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2017 at 8:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 8:45 PM
I'm not so nice and put my mental health before others in most situations. I'd kick the asshole to the curb and, if he asks, tell him exactly why I did so. That said, I wasn't as self-assured as a teen, so I feel for your kid and his intentions.
fairymaid23
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 8:49 PM
Todd is using it as a ploy to keep them as his friends out of pity. Maybe the boys should come together in an intervention for him. Wat are Todd's parents like? Will they help or hinder the process?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 8:53 PM

maybe im cold but ive been through this before.someone constantly threatening suicide gets old.after a while,its like do it or shut up..

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 9:51 PM
That's emotional manipulation, and it's a very commonly used control tactic. Todd will not kill himself, he's just using that to keep his friends around because he is well aware that he's an asshole. He knows he can keep your soon as a friend no matter what when he pulls that card, so he feels free to behave the way he does because he thinks he can get away with it. Your son needs to put himself first now, and leave Todd to deal with the consequences of his behavior. If that means no one likes him and he has no friends any longer, then I guess he'll have to straighten himself out or be lonely. I have plenty of experience with this, and Todd is full of shit.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)