Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what did you pay attention

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 40 Replies

while buying a house? dh and i like 2 houses,

one is built in 2001 and the area is good, but not the town center, the other one is 1992, but in a well established area, I like the first one, because it feels fresher, dh likes the second one because of the area. 

WWYT? is it a big deal to you? what did you pay attention to while buying a house? Any tips are welcome, thanks

Both have top rated schools assigned

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2017 at 9:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2017 at 9:37 PM

anyone?:(

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 9:37 PM
1 mom liked this
You can change anything in a house except the location. I'm strongly leaning towards your husband's side, but if you want to explain what makes it "fresher", I'm willing to reconsider.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2017 at 9:38 PM

Quoting Anonymous 2: You can change anything in a house except the location. I'm strongly leaning towards your husband's side, but if you want to explain what makes it "fresher", I'm willing to reconsider.

it looks and smells fresher, lol, and it is 9 years newer. they both have top rated schools assigned too

Foxilady
by Nymph on Jan. 18, 2017 at 9:39 PM
I would purchase the worst house on the best street.
Location wins
VickyJoJo
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 9:39 PM

Totally agree.  You can renovate, paint, etc but you can change the location.

Quoting Anonymous 2: You can change anything in a house except the location. I'm strongly leaning towards your husband's side, but if you want to explain what makes it "fresher", I'm willing to reconsider.

iwicked
by Sugar Magnolia on Jan. 18, 2017 at 9:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Like they say in real estate, location, location, location! And schools
awelling
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 9:40 PM
I'm all about location 😀
imstilljenny
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 9:40 PM
The area and school district. We could have bought a much bigger, newer home otherwise. But we weren't willing to sacrifice a safe area with good schools.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 9:42 PM
Location!
Mom2theboy1994
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 9:44 PM

Home values around us was a big thing we looked at. You don't want to be the biggest, most expensive house in the neighborhood. I have a neighbor that had their house on the market for four months, (which is unheard of in my neighborhood- they normally go within days!) because the home was the most expensive on the block by almost $200k. We wanted to make sure we were smack-dab in the middle, so if we wanted to sell, it wouldn't be an issue.

Another thing for us was central heat and air It comes standard in homes here, but a lot of times homes are not properly fitted with the right size units. We ended up replacing the unit that came with the house and then adding a second unit for upstairs. Had a house been property fitted, I think my husband would have bought it on the spot.

Because we live in a smallish town, we wanted easy access to interstate ramps without actually having to live off the interstate. 

Those are the things I can think of off the top of my head.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)