Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm a psych RN...AMA

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 76 Replies
I'm bored at work so thought I might do one of these to pass the time.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2017 at 11:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 11:38 PM
How do you like your job and what you don't like about it? I thought about being psych RN.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2017 at 11:40 PM
I love my job for the most part. I work with adolescents and really do feel like I make a positive impact on most of their lives. It can be mentally and emotionally taxing at times. I'd say that is one of the downsides. Also, not a lot of nurses go into psych (or stick with it if they do), so staffing issues are common.

Quoting Anonymous 2: How do you like your job and what you don't like about it? I thought about being psych RN.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 11:44 PM
Do you know why not much nurses in your field? I like psychology and it's one of my options for nursing. What job duties do you do at night time? Do you work at the hospital?

Quoting Anonymous 1: I love my job for the most part. I work with adolescents and really do feel like I make a positive impact on most of their lives. It can be mentally and emotionally taxing at times. I'd say that is one of the downsides. Also, not a lot of nurses go into psych (or stick with it if they do), so staffing issues are common.

Quoting Anonymous 2: How do you like your job and what you don't like about it? I thought about being psych RN.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2017 at 11:54 PM
I work at what is called an acute residential facility. It's basically a step-down program for patients when they are discharged from the hospital (or in some cases, a step up from a less secure residential setting). It's completely locked down. At night I am responsible for any medical needs of the patients. I have to operate a little more autonomously than other shifts because I'm the only one here for a period of time. I'm responsible for most reports that need completed. I'm also responsible for auditing charts and other paperwork.

I think some nurses just don't like psych. I can understand that. I hate med-surg nursing lol. I also think the taxing nature is part of it. You do need a bit of a tough skin to deal with it. And the short staffing is kind of pervasive in the field, so that also contributes.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Do you know why not much nurses in your field? I like psychology and it's one of my options for nursing. What job duties do you do at night time? Do you work at the hospital?

Quoting Anonymous 1: I love my job for the most part. I work with adolescents and really do feel like I make a positive impact on most of their lives. It can be mentally and emotionally taxing at times. I'd say that is one of the downsides. Also, not a lot of nurses go into psych (or stick with it if they do), so staffing issues are common.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 11:55 PM

I don't know much about your position/title 

but what is rhe difference between what you do and a RN?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2017 at 11:56 PM
Let me rephrase that, I'm the only licensed medical personnel here. We have PCAs who are the direct-care staff and responsible for monitoring them at night.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I work at what is called an acute residential facility. It's basically a step-down program for patients when they are discharged from the hospital (or in some cases, a step up from a less secure residential setting). It's completely locked down. At night I am responsible for any medical needs of the patients. I have to operate a little more autonomously than other shifts because I'm the only one here for a period of time. I'm responsible for most reports that need completed. I'm also responsible for auditing charts and other paperwork.

I think some nurses just don't like psych. I can understand that. I hate med-surg nursing lol. I also think the taxing nature is part of it. You do need a bit of a tough skin to deal with it. And the short staffing is kind of pervasive in the field, so that also contributes.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Do you know why not much nurses in your field? I like psychology and it's one of my options for nursing. What job duties do you do at night time? Do you work at the hospital?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2017 at 11:58 PM
I'm just a RN who works in psych. I'm considering paying to be board certified, which basically just affirms my specialty in the field.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 11:59 PM
Are you the "Failure to Launch"psych nurse who still lives with your parents and spends your income on plastic surgery and men who don't want you? The one who complains you can't attract a decent man?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 19, 2017 at 12:03 AM

What is the difference btwn an LPN and and RN? 

and the difference btwn working in an hospital/ and a nursing home/ er?

Quoting Anonymous 1: I'm just a RN who works in psych. I'm considering paying to be board certified, which basically just affirms my specialty in the field.
Quoting Anonymous 3:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 19, 2017 at 12:05 AM
Haha no. I'm married with four children, own my home, and have never had plastic surgery.

Quoting Anonymous 4: Are you the "Failure to Launch"psych nurse who still lives with your parents and spends your income on plastic surgery and men who don't want you? The one who complains you can't attract a decent man?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)