Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

High blood pressure

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 42 Replies
My blood pressure gets soooo high a few days before i start my period like 158/104
168/99 170/102 152/116 those are just some of the readings I have got.

Anyone know why this might be happening
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 26, 2017 at 3:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kiddycat73
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 3:47 AM
1 mom liked this
Are you on meds for that? Does your Dr know? Those are dangerously high pressures. Over time that can damage your kidneys. I'm a dialysis nurse. High blood pressure is the #2 cause of kidney failure, and a lot of people don't realize how serious it is until they end up in my clinic. I strongly urge you to see your Dr about this if you haven't already.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 26, 2017 at 3:52 AM
I am trying to find a doc I can afford. I'm on bp meds their just not working.

Do you have an answer to my question

Quoting kiddycat73: Are you on meds for that? Does your Dr know? Those are dangerously high pressures. Over time that can damage your kidneys. I'm a dialysis nurse. High blood pressure is the #2 cause of kidney failure, and a lot of people don't realize how serious it is until they end up in my clinic. I strongly urge you to see your Dr about this if you haven't already.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 26, 2017 at 3:55 AM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 26, 2017 at 3:57 AM
You really need to see a dr asap. Without diagnostics there is no way to know why or how often this is occurring, and those readings are at a dangerously high level.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 26, 2017 at 3:59 AM
I know how often occurs is the thing. The hospital dosent find it to be a problem unless it reaches 200/anything
They just say see a pcp well my pcp can't figure anything out and I don't have insurance so I can't afford a doctor.

Quoting Anonymous 2: You really need to see a dr asap. Without diagnostics there is no way to know why or how often this is occurring, and those readings are at a dangerously high level.
kiddycat73
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:00 AM
Are you sure it only gets high during your period? What kinds of meds are you on? Do you take them every day? How do you get them if you don't have a Dr?

The spikes during your period are most likely caused by a surge in progesterone right before your period starts, combined with extra salt intake and fluid retention. Do you retain a lot of fluid? Are you puffy and bloated?

Quoting Anonymous 1: I am trying to find a doc I can afford. I'm on bp meds their just not working.

Quoting kiddycat73: Are you on meds for that? Does your Dr know? Those are dangerously high pressures. Over time that can damage your kidneys. I'm a dialysis nurse. High blood pressure is the #2 cause of kidney failure, and a lot of people don't realize how serious it is until they end up in my clinic. I strongly urge you to see your Dr about this if you haven't already.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:02 AM
I always have high blood pressure but it stays around 135/80 but when I am about to start my period it just spikes like crazy
I take metoprolol tartate 100 mg twice a day then a doctor switched it ti
25mg of metoprolol er succinate 24hr

Neither work and the pills make me feel like fucking shit

Quoting kiddycat73: Are you sure it only gets high during your period? What kinds of meds are you on? Do you take them every day? How do you get them if you don't have a Dr?

The spikes during your period are most likely caused by a surge in progesterone right before your period starts, combined with extra salt intake and fluid retention. Do you retain a lot of fluid? Are you puffy and bloated?

Quoting Anonymous 1: I am trying to find a doc I can afford. I'm on bp meds their just not working.

PinkButterfly66
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:08 AM

Try increasing your potassium intake.  Google high potassium foods and aim for 3g-4g of potassium. Increase your magnesium levels too.  Magnesium helps lower blood pressure as well.  A chelated magnesium supplement like magnesium glycinate is highly absorbable.  

kiddycat73
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:09 AM
It sounds like you need to have a diuretic type med like Hydrozaline added if only for the week before and during your period. Excess fluid retained by your body causes your blood pressure to be higher. Getting rid of the fluid will lower your pressure, and also help with any bloating. You need to restrict your sodium intake, and drink plenty of water to help your body flush out what you do consume.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I always have high blood pressure but it stays around 135/80 but when I am about to start my period it just spikes like crazy
I take metoprolol tartate 100 mg twice a day then a doctor switched it ti
25mg of metoprolol er succinate 24hr

Neither work and the pills make me feel like fucking shit

Quoting kiddycat73: Are you sure it only gets high during your period? What kinds of meds are you on? Do you take them every day? How do you get them if you don't have a Dr?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:09 AM
It doesn't really work like that for people who have chronic hypertension

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Try increasing your potassium intake.  Google high potassium foods and aim for 3g-4g of potassium. Increase your magnesium levels too.  Magnesium helps lower blood pressure as well.  A chelated magnesium supplement like magnesium glycinate is highly absorbable.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)