Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/O of sorts ( Brown eggs)

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 7:06 AM
  • 13 Replies
Last week or week before I can't remember there was a post about brown eggs. There was a lot of y'all saying brown cage free organic brown egg taste better and so, I said there is no difference in brown eggs . So I was at Stew Leonard's and they had cage free organic brown eggs on sale for $1.99 for a dozen so I figured for that price I'll try them. For me there was a difference, the taste wasn't as eggy and the texture was very rubbery. And. I didn't over cook them I always eat my eggs over medium. So for as much as they normally cost I wouldn't buy them again.
by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 7:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WemblyFraggle
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 7:12 AM
It has nothing to do with the colour of the egg itself. Brown eggs come from Brown or red chickens. White eggs come from white chickens. Both can be free range organic or not. But I agree the taste is absolutely noticable between organic and not. I also agree it's not worth the price at the grocery store. I buy my eggs from the local farmers market. They are organic, and only $1.25 a dozen
SergeantSausage
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 7:13 AM
They could be old but being cage free doesn't really mean a lot. They could be cage free but forced to live in a barn with a million other hens and have very limited time free roaming like nature intended.
It really has nothing to do with the color of the egg.
Do your research and look for free roaming hens that have plent of acreage to forage on bugs and grass, not fed things like corn, soy, and gmo feed.
halleys_mommy_1
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 7:43 AM
Store bought eggs are usually a month old or older.

Find a farm stand and try those.

We get blue eggs which are my favorite. I think it's just because they are really so pretty but whatever. Lol
momto2boys973
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 7:46 AM
I've found that brown eggs tend to have more blood spots, so I only buy white.
And I definitely think that the organic/cage free price isn't worth it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 26, 2017 at 7:48 AM
So the problem is that "cage free" isn't what you think it is. They aren't chickens lounging in a nice green posture in the sun, fee a healthy and natural diet. I see minimal difference between "cage free" grocery store eggs and the cheapest ones there.

Find someone who has chickens at home. You will be surprised at the difference in yolk color and taste (never noticed a difference in texture, I don't think that's really a thing).
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 26, 2017 at 7:55 AM
2 moms liked this
OMG some of these answers are SOOO wrong. First off the color of tge hen doesn't always make the color of the egg. I have had white hens lat brown eggs. The "blood spots" has NOTHING to do with the color of the egg it has everything to due with their being a rooster within the flock.
As far as the taste difference it has to due with what the hens eat. If the hens are outside eating bugs worms and things of that nature rather than mass produced hen feed the eggs with be richer and mich darker yolks will be had.
As another poster suggested try buying them from a farmer such as myself who has true free range hens.
sweetpeasgirl12
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 7:59 AM
Think I'll try and find a farmer when we go back to Wny for a cost in a few weeks and see how I like those.

Quoting Anonymous 2: OMG some of these answers are SOOO wrong. First off the color of tge hen doesn't always make the color of the egg. I have had white hens lat brown eggs. The "blood spots" has NOTHING to do with the color of the egg it has everything to due with their being a rooster within the flock.
As far as the taste difference it has to due with what the hens eat. If the hens are outside eating bugs worms and things of that nature rather than mass produced hen feed the eggs with be richer and mich darker yolks will be had.
As another poster suggested try buying them from a farmer such as myself who has true free range hens.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 26, 2017 at 8:00 AM
Brown doesn't matter. Cage free doesn't mean a lot on it's own either. They could still be indoor and only eat grain feed. What they are fed makes the difference. Chickens that eat grass and are free range do taste a lot better. We only eat 6 a week, so I don't care that they cost at least twice as much as regular.
ShellLea
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 8:19 AM

The misinformation in these replies is amazing. If you want good eggs buy them from a backyard flock raised by someone who actually cares about their birds. Buying them in the store simply guarantees that they're about a month old. The only difference between a white egg and any other color is the color of the outermost layer of the shell. Egg color is dependent on the breed of the chicken and nothing else. Blood spots have nothing to do with a rooster. A fertilized egg will have a bullseye where a not fertilized egg only has a white dot. The photo shows eggs from my flock. Brown, white, blue, green, all with dark orange yolks instead of the dull yellow you see in store bought eggs.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 26, 2017 at 8:26 AM
Go to a local farm and buy direct. You can also see the chickens and judge yourself for their environment. It will also be cheaper.

Personally, I love duck eggs. You should try those of you can.

The color of the egg doesn't mean a thing though.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)