• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tax post....no refund here!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
The system is messed up. The less you work, the more kids you have the more you get rewarded. Maybe some of that may be changing. Who knows.

Anyways DH and I own a small business. Last year was kind of tough. Made 58,000. DH also took on a pt job and made an extra 4,000. That really f'd up medical insurance. The cheapest was over 60% of our income.

In 2015 we made 60,000 and the tax guy got it down with expenses and deductions and counting two kids to 38,000. WI think that we ended up paying in 5,000.

So idk what will happen this year. We did make a little less with the business and DH had all the taxes taken out of his check. And we only have one kid to count this year.

The lower middle class and middle class pay out of their asses. The rich do too but they are not struggling...they make up for it in other ways...we can't. Either way I don't think its fair. I think all should pay something!
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 26, 2017 at 8:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 26, 2017 at 8:47 AM
My Dh is sub contracted and receives a 10-99 and last year made 42,000....we claim 2 kids and are getting back almost 5,000...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 26, 2017 at 8:47 AM
It's the same way with a lot of public assistance programs. Folks are punished for doing better. It's called the welfare cliff and it applies to just about every for of means tested program. If you didn't know any better, you'd think those who make the rules don't want you to do any better. Or at least want you afraid and nervous to do better. :/

The more you make, the more they take.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 26, 2017 at 8:52 AM
The government wants you to be dependent! I learned this year's back when I left my abusive husband and went into hiding for a little while. I did use some assistance. I could have been exempt from the time limit forever! They pushed me to get tested for everything to see if I could stay on assistance...my flat feet, learning disability when I was a kid...it was ridiculous! The less money I made the more I got. I used my tax return to get off assistance.

This was about 18 yrs ago. Seems like it's way worse now! So gross!

Quoting Anonymous 3: It's the same way with a lot of public assistance programs. Folks are punished for doing better. It's called the welfare cliff and it applies to just about every for of means tested program. If you didn't know any better, you'd think those who make the rules don't want you to do any better. Or at least want you afraid and nervous to do better. :/

The more you make, the more they take.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 26, 2017 at 8:53 AM
Did you pay in any taxes during the year? Is this before or after deductions and expenses?

Quoting Anonymous 2: My Dh is sub contracted and receives a 10-99 and last year made 42,000....we claim 2 kids and are getting back almost 5,000...
AvantGardener
by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this

We paid over 30k in income taxes this year. Can't wait to start paying for that wall. (sarcasm)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 26, 2017 at 8:59 AM
Ugh yes! We owe $82k this year. Tax time is always payment time for us, we own our own business.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 26, 2017 at 9:00 AM

I think you should do your own taxes and that your tax guy effed up. When my husband was self-employed, yes we had to pay self-employment taxes, but we still got back thousands of dollars. He works for someone else now, full-time, and we are getting back $10,200.00 because of the EIC, additional child tax credit, fica and also through state taxes. I do our taxes every year. Sadly, we never use the money to go to Disney or buy wants. It all goes towards insurance, taxes, home and car maintenance, and neccesites for the kids. 

MamaBear131716
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 9:01 AM
Right there with you.
lapcounter
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 9:01 AM
It seems like the poorer you are you score big time come tax time, it's bull shit.
AvantGardener
by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 9:07 AM

But they just scrape by the whole year. It seems to me the real issue is the huge corporations that don't have to pay anything. Then you have the people on social security who don't get EIC, or anything at all and if they try to work to supplement their income, their health insurance goes up and likely their rent if they live in subsidised housing. 

Quoting lapcounter: It seems like the poorer you are you score big time come tax time, it's bull shit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)