Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pennsylvania homeschooling moms, PLEASE HELP!

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 9:15 AM
  • 15 Replies
I have been debating on homeschooling my special needs daughter for the past three years. She misses a lot of school because of doctors appointments related to her heart condition. She has an IEP and needs extra help in school. Now, I'm not the smartest person in the world but I do have some college background with a GPA of 3.7. I need to know where to start. I know my daughter best and she isn't succeeding in school the way the other kids are. She is failing some classes while having extremely high marks in others. The school isn't doing anything to give her extra help in the classes she is failing. She is starting to get depressed seeing her friends surpass her and get better marks on tests than she is getting. I was thinking about online/homeschooling for her but I don't know where to start. Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Also she is 9 years old and in 3rd grade. Thank you in advance!
by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 9:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 26, 2017 at 9:17 AM
Public school, I assume?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 26, 2017 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this

http://eclectic-homeschool.com/what-kind-of-homeschooler-are-you/

I suggest taking the quiz above. Then go from there.

There are many resources out there. After completing the quiz can you come back and post here? Have you checked out HSDLA or local homeschool groups?

Look into the laws in your state as well and learn how you want to teach her or how she learns best.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 26, 2017 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this

join the homeschool group on here

JTE11
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 9:32 AM
1 mom liked this
Try PA cyber school, that way you don't have to plan everything. She can start there while you educate yourself on homeschooling and then when you're ready you can switch.
HeatherMarieT88
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 9:50 AM
Yes

Quoting Anonymous: Public school, I assume?
HeatherMarieT88
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 9:52 AM
Thank you! :)

Quoting Anonymous 1:

There are many resources out there. After completing the quiz can you come back and post here? Have you checked out HSDLA or local homeschool groups?

Look into the laws in your state as well and learn how you want to teach her or how she learns best.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 26, 2017 at 9:55 AM
Where in PA are you?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Not a Pennsylvania homeschooler, but if the cyber option is like it is here in Texas, it's just PS at home. There's no more flexibility than there is in a brick and mortar PS.

The first thing you need to do is check out HSLDA and find out the specifics for your state. Then I strongly suggest you attend a HS conference. The convention season is coming up. This will really help you narrow down your curriculum choices and gets you connected with the HS community.
HeatherMarieT88
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:14 AM
Snyder county on the edge of union county.

Quoting Anonymous 3: Where in PA are you?
HeatherMarieT88
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:15 AM
Three highest scores were in Montessori (15), Unschooling (14), and Charlotte Mason (14).

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)