• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Two steps Forward, One Step Back

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:28 AM
  • 5 Replies

aka, I'm seriously about to lose my shit on my mother.  I'll try to only hit the highlights, as many of you are far too familiar with her particular brand of crazy.

Last Monday (9 days ago) she invited us for dinner and sat us down for a "talk" after dinner.  My son was getting very upset because the talk, was pressed into my side and crying.  She asked why, he replied, "The way you're talking, I'm afraid we're going to end up homeless."  Her reply, "That's a very real possibility."  I calmed her m down and we left shortly afterwards.

NB:  She owns well over $2.5 mil in easily saleable properties, she has a safe full of diamonds she's never even worn and my stepdad says she gets multiple Amazon deliveries every day.  Yet the approx $500 a month for the taxes and condo fees where we live are the problem.  Yeah, sure mom.  I explained how grateful I was for the help she has given, especially while I was fighting cancer and the hope that I might soon be able to perk again.

Anyway, I just got a call from my DCF (CPS) caseworker saying she wasn't comfortable closing my case because of this incident.  My one year sober was last Friday, I have busted my butt and jumped through every hoop, even requesting a few of my own.  So now we know, it takes four business days between the time my mother makes my son hysterical and the news gets throughout his support system at the school, through both his therapist and mine and gets me a call fragment DCF.  I was able to give her a verbal safety plan.  She is typing it up, next week, I'll get the papers in the mail and DCF will be in our past.

I called my mom and calmly told her about the conversation.  I explained that I was not going to argue with her, what I was doing was allowing her time to think about the issue (something she never allows me) and I r quested a minimum of 24 hours before we talked again.

ARE YOU FUCKING KDDING ME?!?!?

by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm not familiar with your story, but I'm so sorry you're dealing with all of that. Sounds like you could use a spell of good luck your way, so I hope it comes and things settle down. I have a.... difficult mother also, so I can understand the frustration from that, for sure. I wish you and your son the best, and congratulations on your sobriety and remission!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:35 AM
You allow the crazy to be a part of your life. Walk far, far away and never look back.
MenopauseManiac
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:46 AM

Fantastic!  When can we move in with you?  Nick is nine, he'd be thrilled to share a room.

Quoting Anonymous 2: You allow the crazy to be a part of your life. Walk far, far away and never look back.

OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:49 AM

I wish I had the resources to offer you so that you can get out from under her roof; Hopefully now that you're in remission, you'll start feeling strong and healthy again soon and can focus on getting you and your kid out from under her.

Do you qualify for housing assistance or Section 8? 

luckysevenwow
by Emerald Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:52 AM
I'm still confused, but good luck!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)