• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Roundworm in my dog..

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies
I'm freaking out! My dog just pooped a huge round worm (going to the vet) and I have a toddler! Is it very contagious? What should I do? Help!
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
poietes
by Laura on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:02 AM

Don't touch the poop with bare hands. disinfect anything that the poop could have gotten on. Get the medicine from the vet. I wouldn't worry to much about it. 

Traci_Momof2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:10 AM

First thing to do is get the medicine from the vet.  It's actually quite easy to clear up as long as you give the dog the medicine.  Your vet will likely suggest a follow up after so many days.  Make sure to do that to make sure the ringworm is gone.

In the meantime, just be extra careful regarding the dogs poop.  Wash your hands extra well after picking up the poop.  Even if you used a bag.  Don't let the toddler near the dogs poop.  Don't let the toddler near anything the poop has touched.  Beyond that, ask your vet for advice on how contagious it is.

But don't freak out.  Our dog was found to have it right before we left to move out of state.  So we were giving her the meds while 4 of us plus the dog were cramped in a minivan all day and in a hotel every night.  None of us caught it from the dog.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:11 AM

Quoting poietes:

Don't touch the poop with bare hands. disinfect anything that the poop could have gotten on. Get the medicine from the vet. I wouldn't worry to much about it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:12 AM
Okay, thank you. I'll be going on a disinfectant rampage right now lol

Quoting Traci_Momof2:

First thing to do is get the medicine from the vet.  It's actually quite easy to clear up as long as you give the dog the medicine.  Your vet will likely suggest a follow up after so many days.  Make sure to do that to make sure the ringworm is gone.

In the meantime, just be extra careful regarding the dogs poop.  Wash your hands extra well after picking up the poop.  Even if you used a bag.  Don't let the toddler near the dogs poop.  Don't let the toddler near anything the poop has touched.  Beyond that, ask your vet for advice on how contagious it is.

But don't freak out.  Our dog was found to have it right before we left to move out of state.  So we were giving her the meds while 4 of us plus the dog were cramped in a minivan all day and in a hotel every night.  None of us caught it from the dog.

Careeka22
by Caitlin on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:14 AM

It's very common and easy to treat. If it came out it's dead, only lives ones stay inside. You will probably see tons once they administer the wormer.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:19 AM
Omg gross. Yes it was dead.

Thank you though for the info.

Quoting Careeka22:

It's very common and easy to treat. If it came out it's dead, only lives ones stay inside. You will probably see tons once they administer the wormer.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)