Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/O Arranged marriage

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 32 Replies
For those of you who are (or were) in an arranged marriage, can you tell us a little about it? Where are you from? Your culture? Are you still married? Most importantly, are you HAPPY or do you stay because you have to or feel that you have to?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:46 AM
Bump. I know there are some!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:53 AM

I wasn't but my great grandma was. she secretly got papers and snuck onto a ship the day she was supposed to get married and came here.

she bashed it into everyone's head that its wrong.

OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:56 AM

Oh, oh, I know an older couple from Israel that were an arranged marriage partnership!

To be honest, they seem to have their shit together more than most. They have a true partnership.

FoxForceFive
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this

One of my employees is in an arranged marriage. She seems very happy, although we're not close enough that she would confide in me otherwise. She's from India and she's Hindu.

mamaracheli
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this
The match between my husband and I was made by a shadchan, or matchmaker. Wheh she told my parents and my husband's parents, they all started doing research, asking around. Once they learned enough and we're satisfied that we were a good match, my husband and I got to meet. We met three times and became engaged officially the third time. Then we didn't see each other again until the wedding. We are Hasidic Jews and this is how it is done in our community. He and I are a really good match. Don't think our parents know the trouble we would cause lol. I am genuinely happy.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 26, 2017 at 12:03 PM
So she left before she actually got married?

Quoting Anonymous 2:

I wasn't but my great grandma was. she secretly got papers and snuck onto a ship the day she was supposed to get married and came here.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 26, 2017 at 12:04 PM
I've heard that arranged marriages tend to do better. Not sure how true that is but it's definitely interesting.

Quoting OwlNuggets:

Oh, oh, I know an older couple from Israel that were an arranged marriage partnership!

To be honest, they seem to have their shit together more than most. They have a true partnership.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 26, 2017 at 12:05 PM

yep. she was forced to live with his family, she was in every sense, sold to her "husband".

Quoting Anonymous 1: So she left before she actually got married?
Quoting Anonymous 2:

kcangel63
by Freebirther on Jan. 26, 2017 at 12:05 PM
Bump

Never knew anyone in one.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 26, 2017 at 12:07 PM
So could you have said no, you didn't want to marry the man they picked out? How far apart were the meetings from the wedding and why didn't you see one another?

Quoting mamaracheli: The match between my husband and I was made by a shadchan, or matchmaker. Wheh she told my parents and my husband's parents, they all started doing research, asking around. Once they learned enough and we're satisfied that we were a good match, my husband and I got to meet. We met three times and became engaged officially the third time. Then we didn't see each other again until the wedding. We are Hasidic Jews and this is how it is done in our community. He and I are a really good match. Don't think our parents know the trouble we would cause lol. I am genuinely happy.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)