Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

gum graft

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies

Has anyone had this done?

Im wondering if they put you to sleep? How bad the pain is after and how long it last? Were you able to eat and drink afterwards?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 26, 2017 at 3:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Famousglm714
by Gina on Jan. 26, 2017 at 3:05 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 26, 2017 at 3:09 PM
My SO is an EFDA. He says it's painful, it'll be sore, you'll be on a cool soft foods diet.. No brushing where you had it done at least for awhile. It just depends on the person. He wants to know if they're using your own tissue or a grafting material? How much are you having done?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 26, 2017 at 3:13 PM

I have not been to the dentist in years and I know when i go they are going to tell me I need this and I am terrified so I am trying to calm myself and work of the courage to go by seeing if anyone has personally done it and see if it really is not all that bad.

My two bottom front teeth have the gum pulling down and my two front upper teeth actually have the gums coming down over my teeth.  I also have a terrible overbit and gapped teeth that need fixing. Pretty much I need alot of work done 

Quoting Anonymous 2: My SO is an EFDA. He says it's painful, it'll be sore, you'll be on a cool soft foods diet.. No brushing where you had it done at least for awhile. It just depends on the person. He wants to know if they're using your own tissue or a grafting material? How much are you having done?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 26, 2017 at 3:16 PM
He said don't worry about grafting, he said wait until you actually go before getting yourself worked up. You'll be fine.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

I have not been to the dentist in years and I know when i go they are going to tell me I need this and I am terrified so I am trying to calm myself and work of the courage to go by seeing if anyone has personally done it and see if it really is not all that bad.

My two bottom front teeth have the gum pulling down and my two front upper teeth actually have the gums coming down over my teeth.  I also have a terrible overbit and gapped teeth that need fixing. Pretty much I need alot of work done 

Quoting Anonymous 2: My SO is an EFDA. He says it's painful, it'll be sore, you'll be on a cool soft foods diet.. No brushing where you had it done at least for awhile. It just depends on the person. He wants to know if they're using your own tissue or a grafting material? How much are you having done?

mom23heathens
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 3:18 PM
What is a gum graft? Curious.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 26, 2017 at 3:20 PM
He said its generally for people with gum recession. I only talked about it with him briefly to answer the op, so I don't know all the ins and outs of it. He said sometimes they'll use your own tissue by taking some tissue from the upper pallet and then others they'll get a donor graft or some modified grafting material that he said usually comes from pigs.

Quoting mom23heathens: What is a gum graft? Curious.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 26, 2017 at 3:20 PM

This is a picture of my teeth. i have always brushed them but gum/teeth issues run in my family

Quoting Anonymous 2: He said don't worry about grafting, he said wait until you actually go before getting yourself worked up. You'll be fine.
Quoting Anonymous 1:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 26, 2017 at 3:22 PM

I have had it but so long ago. Yes, it's painful and no, they don't put you to sleep. I begged for nitrous oxide, but no one does that anymore. You are on a soft food diet for several days, and honestly, with the pain, you don't want to eat, but you will soon be back to normal. If I can do this, so can you. I'm a pussy when it comes to pain.

ysmeine
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 3:24 PM
No they don't put you to sleep. The novicain hurts like a SOB. Where they took the graft from was sensitive to hot food for a long time and would blister up. Other than that, the after care was not bad.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 26, 2017 at 3:26 PM

I have a very high tolerance to pain. I have had 3 c-sections and only took pain meds when I got up out of bed for the first time because it was extremely painful , I also had hernia repair surgery and only took meds the first time I got up. I just don't like medication. 

Quoting Anonymous 3:

I have had it but so long ago. Yes, it's painful and no, they don't put you to sleep. I begged for nitrous oxide, but no one does that anymore. You are on a soft food diet for several days, and honestly, with the pain, you don't want to eat, but you will soon be back to normal. If I can do this, so can you. I'm a pussy when it comes to pain.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)