• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My granny in Glendale needs groceries! Help!

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 3:55 PM
  • 9 Replies
I need to know some grocery delivery services in the Glendale AZ area that I or other family members in other states can order groceries online and have delivered to her door. It needs to be paid online by us and given to her in Glendale. She is legally blind and in her late 80's, and lives alone. No one lives nearby. She and grandpa thought it would be a great idea to retire there leaving all of us behind and then he passed away leaving her alone but she won't give up her house. Any one of us would take her but we're all settled with jobs and families so no one wants to move there either. We have one relative that retired but she doesn't want to live anywhere hot. Another relative flies out 5 times a year and stocks her up on non perishables and freezer stuff but we worry that might not be enough. I would also be interested in a care service or companion service maybe once a week that could check on her and take her to the store if something like that exists. I could look online but I'm not familiar with the area and prefer word of mouth references since no one is there to follow up.
by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 3:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Tsiporah
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 3:58 PM
Amazon Pantry for non-perishables.

Google search for produce & dairy delivery in her zip code. I'm doing it for MIL too!

There will be one. Breathe.
goatmom4
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:01 PM
Even a health care hospice program could help u get grandma a worker she could get visits, help with prescriptions,, Dr visit rides..
kiko2mommy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:02 PM
If you know the zip code, some safeways offer delivery. Another thing you could try would be to find a senior center that helps seniors by taking them shopping and stuff. I know ours does, however, I live in NE Az. Or maybe see if you could find a civic organization that would be willing to help. A lot of the girl scouts in that area are very civic oriented.
hotspice58
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:02 PM

Check with hte social services department out there.  They could get her a caregiver or someone to check on her. 

Tsiporah
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:03 PM
Gosh, I don't like the fact she's so far from everyone. Please get her a phone like Jitterbug with the emergency service. MIL is 40+ minutes away, and I just got the phone so she's covered when out of the house.

And LifeAlert or similar for home. Do it yesterday!
Oliviasmom72
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:05 PM

You need to call Adult Protective Services. I am in Gilbert, clear on the other side of town other wise I would help. Phone: (877) 767-2385

Please get he signed up for meals on wheels.

http://www.seniorsresourceguide.com/directories/Phoenix/search.php?region=AZ02&topic=605

I do believe Safeway delivers so does Amazon prime pantry and I know you could have the groceries delivered to her. good luck

lenashark
by Emerald Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Meals on wheels? You could also see if there's a store that will deliver, like I know Kings does, but I don't know if that's out there.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:06 PM
I know some Bashas delivers and they have stores in Glendale. That's how we'd get the groceries for group home I worked for. I would Google Bashas Glendale and call the store to ask.
Tsiporah
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:07 PM
California gives anyone with disabilities free home phones appropriate for them. I'll be surprised if AZ doesn't.

It's got a large senior population so that's probably city services she and you all don't know about. In MIL's city it's wise &
healthy aging, other CMs could give you what their city calls them.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)